Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons


Title: Article 5
Authror: Kristen Simmons
Series: Article 5 #1
Publication Date: January 31st, 2012
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pages: 362
Source: Library
Get it at: AMAZON | B&N
Summary from Goodreads: New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned. The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved.

Omg. This has become one of my favorites this year. I was a little unsure of the story but once I started reading I just couldn't stop and ended up reading the whole book in two days.

The characters were unique and tormented. I loved that the author incorporated Ems flashbacks about Chase. I liked the mini stories of Rosa, Rebecca, and Sean. It made their world more complex and realistic. The action was non-stop, especially on their journey to where her mother was "supposedly" being kept.

The ending was a heartbreaker. I could not believe that Chase had lied to her or that she would lose it completely like that & hand herself in. Once in jail, we see that she has gotten tougher and no longer waits around for someone to come & get her.

Overall this book made me cry,laugh, and question what would I do in her place. This is surely on my top 20 books I love.

10 comments:

  1. I just heard about this book a few days ago. It sounds amazing! I'll definitely be checking it out :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Montana! Glad you could come by and comment much bloggy <333!

      Delete
  2. I loved Article 5 in a big way. Like you, when I first picked it up I wasn't too sure how I was going to like it. I shouldn't have worried, because I was glued to the pages and loved every minute of it. I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG so uber happy to hear that u LOVED it too Jaime :) thanks for coming by and commenting Much <333!

      Delete
  3. I NEEDNEEDNEED to read this! It sounds awesome and the fact that you gave it 4 stars makes me want to read it even more! And ooh. Mini Stories! }:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY Mini stories FTW! Thanks for dropping by Nikki <3333 ya! :D

      Delete
  4. sounds like a terrible world to grow up in! thanks for reviewing this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >_< Eek! That world does sound terrible to live in! Thanks for stopping by and commenting :-) Much <33!

      Delete
  5. I want to read this book so bad! This review is great and to the point! I love a book that is hard to put down. Thank you for sharing with us. I think that the synopsis caught my attention the most. I mean could you imagine?! I cannot wait to read this one and your review has just made the wait a little bit harder (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Ashley :) And right!?! I really don't think I would have acted like Em in her situation or in her world. Thanks for dropping by and commenting! Much <333!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.