Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blog Tour: Pretty Amy & Author Interview!

What's it about?
Amy is fine living in the shadows of beautiful Lila and uber-cool Cassie, because at least she’s somewhat beautiful and uber-cool by association. But when their dates stand them up for prom, and the girls take matters into their own hands—earning them a night in jail outfitted in satin, stilettos, and Spanx—Amy discovers even a prom spent in handcuffs might be better than the humiliating “rehabilitation techniques” now filling up her summer. Worse, with Lila and Cassie parentally banned, Amy feels like she has nothing—like she is nothing.
Navigating unlikely alliances with her new coworker, two very different boys, and possibly even her parents, Amy struggles to decide if it’s worth being a best friend when it makes you a public enemy. Bringing readers along on an often hilarious and heartwarming journey, Amy finds that maybe getting a life only happens once you think your life is over.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So today we are hosting our first blog tour and the book just happens to be this book called Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein. We had the honor of getting to interview her.So here it is, enjoy!
1)If you had to describe yourself in just one word, what would it be and why?
A:Cynical I'd like to pick a nicer word, but that's the truth. I am very cynical, sometimes to a fault, of course it does make for funny writing.
2)Can you tell me a little bit about Pretty Amy and what inspired it?
A: PRETTY AMY at it's core is about someone searching for her own identity, someone who is scared and alone and unsure, but with a desire to be heard, to be understood. This was all I wanted when I was in high school and I wanted to write a book that let teens know that other people have had that feeling. What I love about Amy is how real she feels, how she is able to encapsulate the exact feelings I struggled with when I was a teen, the feelings I know so many teenagers still struggle with today: the wish to be like someone else, to find that best friend who makes you complete, to fall in love for the very first time.
3)What do you hope that readers take away with them after reading your book?
A: I guess that its ok to feel unsure of who you are. That other people feel that way too, whether they will admit it or not.
4)I find it interesting to know what authors find most productive...Do you use a pen and paper or laptop? Quiet room at home or bustling café? Basically, what gets your creative juices flowing?
A:I use both pen and paper and a laptop. The book I am working on now is in diary format, so I am using pen and paper a lot more, mostly because I want to to feel like you are reading what someone would write in their diary. I also need quiet. I get distracted very easily, too easily.
5) What is one wish that you hope will come true?
A: This is a big question, so I am going to relate it to my writing career. My one wish would be to be able to write full-time and not have to have a day job.
6)If you weren’t a writer, what would be your ideal job?
A:Probably a lawyer. Yes, before I got published I was considering going back to law school.
7)If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?
A: Moisturizer- dry skin is my worst PET PEEVE. A notebook and a pen.
8)Is there a song you could list as the theme song for your book or any of your characters?
A:Them song for PRETTY AMY is definitely Criminal by Fiona Apple.
9)What is your favorite Quote?
A: "The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say."~Anaïs Nin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the author:
Lisa Burstein is a tea seller by day and a writer by night. She received her MFA in Fiction from the Inland Northwest Center for Writers at Eastern Washington University and is glad to finally have it be worth more than the paper it was printed on. She lives in Portland, Oregon with her very patient husband, a neurotic dog and two cats. Pretty Amy is her first novel. She never went to her senior prom.
For more Lisa check out her cool website:http://www.lisaburstein.com
ALSO DON'T FORGET THE NEXT STOP IN THE Pretty Amy BLOG TOUR. Click HERE to go the next stop on FRIDAY!

3 comments:

  1. Great interview! I can't wait to get started on Pretty Amy. Criminal is one of my favorite songs ever. I listen to it a lot. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying to read this book.
    Thanks for the great interview. I am obsessed with tea, so I was particularly interested to see that Lisa Burstein is a tea seller. So cool! And my dog is SO neurotic too....

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.