Sunday, May 13, 2012

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Published: June 28th 2011
By: Simon Pulse
Source: Library
Summary from goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives--and the way they understand each other so completely--has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love.
Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My review:
This book was one I read a while back in the summer. I read the synopsis from goodreads and was like "whoa, this is YA?". That it dealt with incest & teenagers was very appealing to me. I still have not read another YA book that immerses you in a taboo topic like this one. Plus the cover was pretty with the red & the barbed wire heart.
From the begging I was instantly caught. Lochan & Maya are sweet & likable characters. I really didn't think of them as brothers, each of them was different even in their physical appearance. Since the mom was MIA most of the book, it was like they were the parents of their little siblings. I liked that homey feel.
The romance between them is somewhat random but carefully laid out & perfectly timed,so it made sense. I LOVED that we got into both of their heads. I especially loved going inside of Lochan's head because to me he was the more tortured one in the book. There were some HOT scenes that were definitively for upper YA. There relationship was sweet at times, especially when they were around the little kids; but also bitter when they had to "see other people". They tried to break it off but of course, living in the same house does not work. You just felt this emotion that it was okay that they loved each other, even though they were brothers.
The ending,the ending! WHY. I could not believe the ending. I was surprised that one of their own ratted them out & that they were "caught" in a horrible situation. I was SO in tears reading Lochan's last chapter POV that I couldn't even go on, I felt connected to this character that strongly. BUT i did & there were more tears & I could not have been more emotional then.
Tabitha has written a book that has moved me & made me be a more opened minded person. It taught me that, We can't just look at a situation and make quick judgments but that we must take a closer look to really know what is happening in order to judge.
Overall this book was AMAZING! You HAVE TO READ IT!!!! If you don't you will be missing a great read.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
5/5 Chicken feathers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so this is the book trailer I saw. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I saw this book the other day and was hesitant to buy it... I wanted to see what others thought about it first. Glad to know you enjoyed it... I'll go pick up a copy, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i was hesitant too, but I was too curious to see what it was about...So I picked it up from the library. Actually someone somewhere( i can't remember) recommended it as a book that was like Cassandra clare's Mortal Instruments. You know that part when Jace & clary were "brother-sister"...& were in love... so I looked into that. Thanx 4 the commment!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is certainly pushing the YA envelope. Glad you enjoyed it, and the cover is great. I just wonder how well the general market will receive it. Most people had a melt down at Jace and Clary possibly being brother and sister in the Mortal Instruments. It creeped a lot of people out. I wonder how they will react to this?
    Gwynneth
    http://todayinshenaya.bl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Jace & Clary? XP But this one did pretty well since they brought it across from England, but haven't seen many reviews for it & it came out LAST Summer. I though it would creep me out too, but surprisingly it didn't.

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.