Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: The Peculiars(ARC)

Title:The Peculiars
Author:Maureen Doyle McQuerry
Expected publication: May 1st 2012 by Amulet Books
Source: Netgalley
Summary from goodreads.com:
This dark and thrilling adventure, with an unforgettable heroine, will captivate fans of steampunk, fantasy, and romance. On her 18th birthday, Lena Mattacascar decides to search for her father, who disappeared into the northern wilderness of Scree when Lena was young. Scree is inhabited by Peculiars, people whose unusual characteristics make them unacceptable to modern society.Lena wonders if her father is the source of her own extraordinary characteristics and if she, too, is Peculiar.
On the train she meets a young librarian, Jimson Quiggley, who is traveling to a town on the edge of Scree to work in the home and library of the inventor Mr. Beasley. The train is stopped by men being chased by the handsome young marshal Thomas Saltre. When Saltre learns who Lena’s father is, he convinces her to spy on Mr. Beasley and the strange folk who disappear into his home, Zephyr House. A daring escape in an aerocopter leads Lena into the wilds of Scree to confront her deepest fears.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was one of my first requests accepted on Netgalley and I was happy. I'm giving The Peculiars a 3.5 out of 5.
The summary really caught my attention just like the cover. I wasn't sure about the whole goblin thing, though. I hadn't read anything with goblins in them so it was an interesting read. At first the story was kind of slow and I was tempted to just put it back. But once on the train I just kept going. Mostly it was because of Jimson and not because of Lena.
There was very little action at the begining but then it picks up. The inventions from Mr.Beasley were interesting & I liked his character. Jimson has an open mind too and hes one of my favorite characters in the book.The world is also very intriguing. I liked that there was a place of mystery like Scree.
This book had that oh so hated slum in the middle. You could say that the only thing that kept me interested was weather Lena would be caught spying on Mr. Beasley and Jimson. Even though the handsome marshal was an interesting romantic triangle to Lena it just didn't work for me. I hated the idea of Jimson marrying a girl he doesn't really love, at all. The the book picks up and Lena does redeam herslef in my eyes by standing up for herself.
It just wasn't my kind of book. I mean I love steampunk & I've read a lot of them but this book just seamed slow and there really was no points of interest. It was okay and it actually took me a few days to read it. It didn't really captivate me but I did enjoy reading it and would recomend for someone new to the genre of steampunk.

1 comment:

  1. I read this one, but it was rough going. I didn't think I would finish it on many occasions, but I did. Not the best. But beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.