Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Magic of the moonlight by Ellen Schreiber

Published: December 27th 2011
By: HarperCollins Children's Books
Source: Library
Summary (Goodreads):
Beware of a bite under a full moon… it will complicate your love life.
Celeste has more to worry about than a secret romance with a hot guy from the wrong side of town. That guy, Brandon, is a werewolf. With gossip and hostility swirling at school, it’s time to find a cure for his nocturnal condition, and perhaps the one person who can help is his scientist father. But what if a “cure” makes things worse and Brandon becomes a werewolf full time? And with rumors circulating that there are werewolves in Legend’s Run, is it possible that there is another among their classmates?
To keep Brandon’s secret safe, Celeste must hide her relationship with him from her best friends, but with the Moonlight Ball approaching, she must make a choice. Her dream is to go with her one true love—Brandon. But once the sun goes down, the clouds separate, and the full moon appears, could she really walk into the dance on the arm of a werewolf?
In this installment of the sumptuously romantic Full Moon series, Celeste faces her fears and her friends and finds out whether she’s strong enough to stand up for herself and her one true love.
My Review:
When I read the first book last summer I loved it a lot. I was actually excited about the second one, but I took my time on getting it from the library. I was hoping to love this one too. When I finished this one, I was & am still really not sure what to rate this book as. I was going from a 3.5 to a 4. It was a quick read, short to no conflicts.
What I liked was that the book started right were the first one left off. Which I like in a book because it makes it less confusing & easier to re-enter their world/story. I also loved some of the twists, like Nash & Brandon both being creatures of the night. There was a prom & their was drama.
It also had new & old characters like Dr. Meadows, the psychic, who forshadows most of the book in one of her readings at the beggining of the book, which kind off takes away some of the surprises. We also fianlly got to meet Brandons father, Dr. Maddox.He seemed very fatherly & caring, I liked him a lot. Nash & his friends were there too. So was Ivy & Abby, whom the teenage drama circles around. It was okay.
I still love Celeste's character. She was defiant & protective of Brandon even though her own friends were teasing him. She wasn't one to back down, & was the first to suggest she & Brandon "officially" a couple. But then she had these "lost puppy dog" moments were she would be all giggly & I was like "don't do that. AH!" Brandon was still gentle & caring & very much HOT! I would love to have my own Brandon Maddox. He was very down to earth & seemed real.
Also on a funny note, every time Brandon or Nash changed into werewolves they would get got. But what I found funny was that they would say something like, "I'm burning" or "I'm hot!" and then they would just rip off their shirts like Jacob in twilight.
The ending. Oh sweet lord, the ending. I would have thought it would end on a dramatic note, something suspenseful. Which it did, kinda. The solution to their problem, Nash, was logically correct but emotionally twisted. It pretty much ends with her kissing Brandon under the full moon, while Nash is out there as a creature of the moon.
Overall it was pretty good. I would recommend it as a summer read & it gets 4/5 chicken feathers!
           
This was a great book, but was missing something that made the chicken run around in circles.
About the author:
Ellen Schreiber was an actress and a stand-up comedian before becoming a writer. She is the author of Celeste & Brandon, Once in A Full Moon, as well as Teenage Mermaid, Comedy Girl, and the bestselling Vampire Kisses Series. She is also the author of the fully illustrated manga for Vampire Kisses. You can visit here on her website, HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.