Saturday, May 26, 2012

Review: [The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow: Surreptitious Superhero] by Lorin K. Barber

Published: March 13th 2012
By: Sweetwater Books
Source: From author for review
(Goodreads/ Amazon)
Summary: Copernicus H. Stringfellow, a.k.a. Nick, is not your run-of-the-mill genius. His mind is so powerful it can stop a speeding automobile or stem internal bleeding. As Nick goes about quietly doing good, he discovers that his powers are greatly enhanced by the nutrients present in Twinkies. Follow Nick on his amazing adventures in this humorous and exciting action-packed book for all ages.
Review:
I really liked this book! The whole idea of a boy genius. I have to say my favorite line of this book. I don’t think it gives tooo much away.
“Are you immortal?” she asked
“Oh I’m normal all right but you’d have to catch me by surprise…I’m not superman.” (Page 117)
I loved that line because Nick never struck me like a super hero. From the begging the author described him as unusual but nothing muscular or athletic. I want to be Nick when I grow up. (Not the mind stuff although that would be so cool!) His whole outlook on life is incredible. He helps anyone without anything in return. I was amused at how he bought a shabby house and just kept hiring people in need to do odd jobs. The person he hires is significant to the kind of person he is.
Jemima and her daughter Tilly were just so comical. Tilly is you’re average outgoing 9 years old, but she was just someone you instantly liked. I like the way Nick phrases it. “Like a grown up in a 9 year olds body” Honestly at first I thought Nick was the villain. I thought he did the kidnapping and the killing. Hmmm I won’t tell you that part you’ll just have to read it. ;)
Oh! His languages and random trivia! Nick made my head spin and I wondered if it was all true. I thought it was adorable how fluttered Nick got around Press. Nick constantly eats Twinkies and I didn’t really like that. I don’t know it bugged me.
I’m speechless at how great this book was. I really want you to read it. The whole idea of this Nick character is brilliant. We should all be Nicks (again minus the telekinesis) 5/5 feathers. Read it, it’s a book to concentrate on to figure out, not an easy read to pick up whenever. There are many medical terms. Like when he was in the plane, running with Press, and throughout the book.
           
Totally AMAZING! The chicken is going to Peck this one OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.