Friday, June 15, 2012

Review: Among the Nameless Stars by Diana Peterfreund

Published: June 4th 2012
By: HarperCollins Publishers
Source: Authors blog (PDF)
Summary (add to Goodreads):
Before Kai joined the Cloud Fleet, he wandered… AMONG THE NAMELESS STARS
Four years before the events of FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS, the servant Kai left the North Estate, the only home he’d ever known, and Elliot North, the only girl he ever loved, in search of a better life. But the journey was not an easy one.
Featuring narrow escapes, thrilling boat races and at least one deadly volcanic wasteland.
My Review:
One word: AMAZING! Okay I read the small (84 pages) excerpt of For Darkness Shows the Stars that HarperTeen has on their website, HERE. That was SO good & will be buying it this week. So after the abrupt ending of that excerpt I needed MORE. So i stumbled upon this story. Kai's Story.
I fell in love with Kai. He is my type of character, wounded, betrayed, and determined. I understood why he wanted his freedom, why he left. This POV story brought me SO much closer to him.
It broke my heart every time he was writing letters to Elliot. He was expressing some really intense emotions & you see that his love was turning into hate, slowly as his journey was getting tougher.
There are times when you just want to hug Kai! If i had been in his shoes, I would have probably gone back home. I cannot believe he stayed & i was so tearing when he mentioned how he was going to go back a wealthy and respected post. Aw! I mean, he even respected & understood Cleopatra, a service girl & her brother.
We also see how he became an explorer and we meet the Innovation family. Which I LOVED that they had broken the barriers of being posts. I also now understood the mention of "some might not even be able to see", that Andromeda maid in For Darkness shows the stars. Someone is blind. Who? Read it! HERE!
I LOVE the ending. You thought he was betrayed & left to rot in that cell of a life, literally. But then walk in Felicia Innovation & his life as Captain Malakai Wentworth. There is so much more in the story that I am probably not mentioning because I want YOU TO READ IT!
YOU HAVE TO READ this short & the WHOLE NOVEL!! It is one that you will NOT WANT TO MISS! Me & Nikki are in LOVE with it!(add to goodreads!NOW!)
           
Totally AMAZING! The chicken is going to Peck this one OUT!
Video:
Of course there is no trailer for this book, but this one from Florence & the machine really captures Kai's past & personal demons he faced. As well as how he shook them out & became this wealthy respected person. Hope you like it! =)
Thanks for Stopping BY!

9 comments:

  1. *raises hand excitedly* I TOLD YOU ABOUT HTIS! And YES YES YES. IT IS AMAZING. I started hating Elliot at that point too! :D And yes. SO EMOTIONAL. My eyes actually watered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm putting this in my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! U should, and it's pretty quick. Hope u enjoy it when u do :D thanks for commenting Jaime, much <3!

      Delete
  3. LOVE this twist on a retelling and it's awesome when novellas actually bring something meaningful to a story:)

    Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! I really like novellas to be something that will help me better connect & make me understand certain characters :) Thanks for checking out the review Christina, MUCH <333!

      Delete
  4. I really need to read this series already! I have heard nothing but great things, and I think I am missing out on this one in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES YOU HAVE TO READ THIS SERIES XD It's really good. Thanks for stopping by the review Jaime, MUCH <333!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.