Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

Pub Date: June 26th 2012
By: EgmontUSA
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Summary (Goodreads/Amazon):
"This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie's life. Now it's the one she'd do anything to forget."
Maggie remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party. She remembers climbing the trail with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can't she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below-dead?
As Maggie's memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?
The latest novel from the author of "The Tension of Opposites," "One Moment" is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.
HAPPY RELEASE DAY!! =)
My (Lisseth's) Review:
I did NOT know what I was getting myself into when I requested this book on Netgalley. I normally don't read contemporary books much but was caught by the synopsis, it seemed VERY interesting. So I gave it a try & was fairly pleased with this book.
The story starts in action from the cliff where everything falls apart.It went into a frenzy at first because there was a lot things going on: Joey's death, Maggie's trauma, and Adam's protectiveness. Then as the story goes through it gets more interesting & intense. Where in a full-on investigation & dealing with Maggie's sudden loss of memory.
I liked Maggie in a sense that you felt that she was completely in her right to forget the events of that horrible day. Yet she faced them with her head held high all at the same time her world was crashing and becoming unbalanced. I liked Adam, he was the best kind of support you would need in a situation like this though I had my doubts when he seemed like he didn't care & there is good excuse for that.
I disliked two characters in a good way. I mean, I hated what they did to Maggie but they were vital & it made me more interested to dig deeper into the secrets. I disliked Joey for many reason's mainly for lying to Maggie. I felt betrayed by what Maggie's friend Shannon.
Though it kinda felt sorta predictable what the secrets that Joey was hiding were, it was still interesting to know more about them & the sign's that Maggie had missed. There were some parts that I felt like my heart was literally going to jump out of my body in suspense. There were other parts that had me in tears. Then some parts I was angered & bitter along with Maggie.
The ending really closed everything & many questions were answered. Friendships were shattered, bruised, and some were renewed. It made me a bit uneasy that Maggie forgave a certain character but that's what has to be done to move on. Really liked that she got closure & could move on with her life.
Overall it was a good, fast read. I really enjoyed it. It can be intense and confusing at times but I actually liked that. So I am giving it 3.5/5 feathers!
  
This was an okay book. The Chicken liked this corn.
About the Author:
Kristina McBride, a former English teacher and yearbook advisor, dreamed of being a published author since she was a child and lived across the street from a library.
Kristina has published two novels for young adults - The Tension of Opposites (May 2010) and One Moment (June 2012). She lives in Ohio with her husband and two young children. Visit her online at www.kristinamcbride.com.
Goodreads / Facebook / Twitter
Video:
This book has no official book trailer, but you know me I LOVE MUSIC. So I found this song that was PERFECT for One Moment. Hear the lyrics & ENJOY!!!
Thanks for stopping by! =)

7 comments:

  1. This book looks really good, I can't wait to read it now. I love this song, I think this song also matches Insanity by Lauren Hammond really well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O COOL! And I love anything by Ellie goulding too! And it was good :) Thanks for stopping by Brittan, much <33!

      Delete
  2. I haven't been reading contemporary for very long, and during that time I have had some great experiences, and then some not so great ones. I have held off on One Moment because it just sounds so good and I was nervous that I was just not going to like it. Well, I think I might just take a chance after your review. It may be a little predictable but sometimes the story can still be good, with even the slightest bit of uniqueness. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I never know with contemporary if it's going to be a good one. TAKE THE CHANCE it's always good to try a book and if it's not for you then @ least u tried. Thanks for checking out the review Jaime, much <3!

      Delete
  3. ONE MOMENT WAS AMAZING. But yeah. Two characters I LOVED to hate! I know how you feel girl! And I KNOw. HOW DID SHE FORGIVE SO EASILY? It's just crazy. But I still love Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is a maybe on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, maybe is fine, as long as it makes it ;) Thanks for checking out the review Jamie, much <3!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.