Sunday, June 10, 2012

Review: [Uglies] Shay's Story by Scott Westerfeld, Devin Grayson, & Steven Cummings

Graphic Novel (208 pages)
Published: March 6th 2012
By: Random House Publishing Group
Source:Bought!
Summary (add on goodreads):
“This whole game is just designed to make us hate ourselves.”—Shay
Uglies told Tally Youngblood’s version of life in Uglyville and the budding rebellion against the Specials. Now comes an exciting graphic novel revealing new adventures in the Uglies world—as seen through the eyes of Shay, Tally’s rebellious best friend who’s not afraid to break the rules, no matter the cost.
A few months shy of her sixteenth birthday, Shay eagerly awaits her turn to become a Pretty—a rite-of-passage operation called “the Surge” that transforms ordinary Uglies into paragons of beauty. Yet after befriending the Crims, a group of fellow teens who refuse to take anything in society at face value, Shay starts to question the whole concept. And as the Crims explore beyond the monitored borders of Uglyville into the forbidden, ungoverned wild, Shay must choose between the perks of being Pretty and the rewards of being real.
MY Review:
I really liked this graphic novel a lot. I thought it was going to be disappointed in the way the characters were brought to life. But I wasn't! I really liked the artist's rendition and consideration of detail.
There is even a section in the back where it shows you the rough sketches & revisions made to the characters. I loved the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld & was so excited when I heard this book was coming out, through Shay's POV.
I really liked that we got a whole new look at Shay & her part of the story in the uglies series. I really felt for her, with David drama, Smokie betrays, and herself. It brought new insight at Shay the person. We see her grow & rebel & be herself. I was really rooting for her, I know a lot of people see her as evil or as antagonistic character, But all I see is a girl that just never wanted to be alone. Which we see she is and that leads her to Tally, and if you read Uglies then you know what happens next.
The only thing that bothered me AT ALL was that Ugly Zane has light hair, whose color is never mentioned. Then Pretty Zane has dark hair. That totally confused me. I mean, i liked both Zane's but would have loved consistency.
There were a bunch of other characters like Ho, Croy, Astrix, and Tach. Really liked seeing them too! We also got a look at the Smoke and the infamous Dr. Cable, who did look scary! 0_o Tally was in there too, but not that much, more to the end really. Loved the ending and CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!
Overall I loved it. It was a AMAZING! I enjoyed it a lot, YOU HAVE TO READ IT & UGLIES! Giving it a 5/5 feathers!
   
           
Really GREAT! The chicken is going to Peck this one OUT!
Picture Time!
Since it is a graphic novel there were obviously pictures! So I am going to put some that I found interesting. Plus the picture on the cover is really pretty! =)
1. Shay & Zane Meeting David at the ruins for the first time.
2. My problem: Pretty Zane has darker hair & lighter eyes.(ugly Zane is next to Shay in pic#1)
3. The famous SMOKE! Just how I imagined it.
4. Of course, I HAD to put this one of David & Shay kissing!
5. Finally a picture of Pretty Shay at the end. I really liked that they just enhanced her & didn't completely change her. She was just like I imagined her to be! =)
About the author:
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling American-born author of YA sci-fi literature. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.
His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation for the 2000 Philip K. Dick Award. So Yesterday won a Victorian Premier's Award and Midnighters 1: The Secret Hour won an Aurealis Award. Peeps and Uglies were both named as Best Books for Young Adults 2006 by the American Library Association.
Goodreads / Twitter / Blog
Trailer!:
Thanks for stopping by!
If you have read the Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld, how true to the characters do you think they are? Bad/good? leave comments, love reading them!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - what a fantastic review. I have never picked up a graphic novel before, but it looks like I am missing out! I will have to check this one out. :)

    New to your blog!
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're possibly the only GOOD reviewer who's reviewed a graphic novel lol! But you know I hated Uglies. Sorry but nikki won't try this one! XP

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.