Sunday, June 3, 2012

Review: Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Published: May 5th 2009
By: Harper Teen
Source: Library
Summary (add on goodreads):
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.
Laurel's life is the very definition of normal...until the morning when she wakes up to discover a flower blooming from her back. As it turns out, nothing in Laurel's life is what it seems. Now, with the help of an alluring faerie sentry who holds the key to her true past, Laurel must race to save her human family from the centuries-old faerie enemies who walk among them.
My Review:
I know this book came out a while ago but at the time I was just starting to get into reading, it was also the boom of YA. I had thought it was an angel book, since it was called Wings, but NO it was about Faeries. I still had not read Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series so faeries weren't my favorite reads. So I let it go.
Now, I regret not having read this sooner. I loved that this book was very unique in the plot with faeries. I really created a new world that I would have thought impossible, but it's proven true through Science and it makes sense. I feel like saying, "I know what you are Edward...your a PLANT!" lol. yeah but that twist with faeries really made me want to read more & want to find out how she was a plant, a living, highly evolved plant.
I loved the characters, each one was so different yet brought the story together. I liked that Laurel was new in a sense to the High School atmosphere, it created a sense of innocence. I also liked David, a lot! He was my favorite character. He was super-smart, funny, serious, heroic, as he said, "anything you want me to be". He may have been 15 but girl I would date him if I were Laurel. I liked Laurel's friend Chelsea. She was enthusiastic, talkative, and wants the best for others, like David. Tamani was okay. He wasn't there really, but was a key player. He was also movie star hot & had a duplicity that I liked.
The plot was varied & had some very well placed action scenes. It had great twists. The romance was sweet & had me going "aww" when David & Laurel were together, "experimenting" or just hanging out. There were some scenes were I was jumping out of my seat, I was reading what would happen next.
There is SO much more I WANT to tell you! BUT you'll just HAVE to read it. It was a solid 5 out of 5. LOVED it!
           
Totally AMAZING! The chicken is going to Peck this one OUT!
Video:
So this great book has no official trailer but I saw this Florence & the Machine music video today & I was hearing the lyrics & was like this IS THE SONG! Hear the lyrics, you'll understand.
Question:
If you've read Wings, do you think the video does it justice or not? Leave a comment! =)

5 comments:

  1. I have not read this series, but glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend was cleaning out her shelves last year and I got the first two books in this series from her. I haven't read them yet, but after reading your review I think I might have to move them up on the TBR list! I'm glad you loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this series I think read it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read her other books? Like Earthbound and Life After Theft? I loved them! I think I will read all of her books one day, I just love her writing and the ideas she come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no :*( I SO NEED TO though because i loved this book to death & need to continue the series. Thanks for checking out my review Anastasia, MUCH <333!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.