Monday, July 9, 2012

[ARC Review] Quarantine: the Loners by Lex Thomas

Pub Date: July 10th 2012
By: EgmontUSA
Pages: 416
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Summary (Goodreads/Amazon/B&N):
It was just another ordinary day at McKinley High—until a massive explosion devastated the school. When loner David Thorpe tried to help his English teacher to safety, the teacher convulsed and died right in front of him. And that was just the beginning.
A year later, McKinley has descended into chaos. All the students are infected with a virus that makes them deadly to adults. The school is under military quarantine. The teachers are gone. Violent gangs have formed based on high school social cliques. Without a gang, you’re as good as dead. And David has no gang. It’s just him and his little brother, Will, against the whole school.
In this frighteningly dark and captivating novel, Lex Thomas locks readers inside a school where kids don’t fight to be popular, they fight to stay alive.
My (lisseth's) review:
"Quarantine is a Gritty, fast paced, intense, unpredictable book filled with all kinds of Action, Conflict, and tons of AWESOME!"
First of all, let me just say that this book was AWESOME! I read the synopsis & was pretty interested in it. I mean, your deadly to adults, your locked inside your school, with clicks & gangs forming, and your alone with your brother who is an epileptic, I would have pooped in my pants & hid under a rock till i died.
The Story.
It began with a prologue that was like, "woah, what did i get myself into" and I was hooked. Then it moves to the "BEFORE" of the quarantine, and we meet David & Will, whom have lost their mother & David does something that pretty much determine's his place after the quarantine. Then "After", wow. There are gangs, each with a unique hair color (virus took away their hair & they grow white hair after). There are dangers everywhere, no one is safe, and kids DO DIE.
The characters.
Each character has a depth & a complexity to them. Each one wants to survive 'till graduation & leave. I LOVED David & Will, there the main characters, BUT there are also other POV's mixed in there like SAM, the Varsity bully(Tyrant), & Lucy (an ex Pretty ONE(cheerleader type gang)). Each POV gave me more insight as to the inner conflicts the students inside the school were feeling. There are other characters like: Gonzalo, Sash, Belinda, Hilary(leader of pretty Ones & a total Bit**). I think i LOVED the villains just as much as the good guys, if you could call them that ;)
Romance?
YES there is a romance! It involves the brothers, Will & David and Lucy!! It's really complicated for the three because Lucy feels with David & he saved her, sotra like her hero. But Will she knew from before the Quarantine & she had feelings for him & thinks he's a good guy but she is unsure. what happens? Some unwanted signals, some heartbreak, and a hot kiss! Who? READ THE BOOK!!! =P
The Ending!
This ending was intense, happy, full of ACTION! There are twists that you WILL NOT SEE COMING! I was surprised by some of them. After the last page i was, like, "wait, it's over, NO!!!". I went crazy it ended with the POV of a villain, that i liked. I know but he's just as messed up as the rest of them. And SOMETHING HUGE happens @ the end, that left me speechless!
What else can i say, I think i said too much but it's because I LOVED this book & it did not disappoint! Plus besides being gritty with savagery & battles there is also a lot of funny parts that made laugh. So it gets the rare, 6/5 golden feathers!! YOU GOTTA READ THIS BOOK!
   
Totally AMAZING! The chicken is going to Peck YOUR EYES OUT if YOU DONT READ IT!
Video:
Sadly there is no book trailer for this awesome book. But reading it I heard this song & it reminded me of the book & especially David, and his role as leader of the Loners! Enjoy! =)
Thanks for stopping by! what do u think? U gonna read it?

1 comment:

  1. OMG I TOTALLY NEED THIS. I MUST HOARD MORE MONEY SO I CAN GET THIS. ACCCKKK!!!!! You ranted so much and the romance. ACK. I seriously need this. @_@

    And dude. THERES A HEA? (Happily Ever AFter)? :OOOO

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.