Tuesday, July 31, 2012

ARC Review:Throne of Glass by Sara J.Mass

Pub Date: August 7,2012
By: Bloomsbury USA childrens
Pages: 416
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Summary: [Goodreads / Amazon]
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.
Her opponents are men—thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the kings council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she’ll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.
Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she’s bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it’s the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.
Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Cna figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.
My (Lisseth's) Review:
"Throne of Glass is an AMAZING debut filled with action, love, secrets and a main character that is charming and beautiful yet at the same time ruthless."
To be honest I was shocked that I was approved for this book.I had heard so many things already about and it made want to read this book and believe me it was completely worth The wait. It was a book packed full of WOW.
The Story.
The story was well paced. We start out slow on Endovier, a prison that sounds more like a concentration camp for criminals. I liked the dynamics of having Celeana come from their. From their it keeps speeding up at a good pace. Once their at the Glass Castle things get very interesting. I liked that many characters had their Points of view shown to us,the reader. The training was hard,as expected, and the fighting was kept to a minimum but when they did fight it was GOOD. There were SO MANY secrets that had to be uncovered and i loved that their was an element of magic to the story, even if it was sorta creepy.
The Characters.
OMG! I loved the characters that Sara J.Mass gave us. Celeana was a complexity, just like most of the other characters. When you read her parts, you felt this coldness and calculation BUT at the same time in those rare moments, that she was still a girl that lost a lot and could still smile... ;D (Choal mentions this often) Choal is a very logical and closed hearted general. He like Celeana but at the same time doesn't and KNOWS she's an assassin. Then their is Dorian, ah...Dorian. He starts out as a swoon worthy, arrogant prince, who gets whatever he wants. BUT then he changes and becomes this mature, romantic, and brave guy. Which takes me to...
The Romance.
The romance is such a complexity in and of its self. The author makes it almost impossible to pick one guy over the other. Celeana has two AMAZING guys to choose between in the book. One, in my opinion makes sense. But to many others the other one does. The romance is sweet on both ends for different reasons. In one it fills a hole a certain characters life, and to another it makes them feel stronger and RIGHT that they fight. All i am saying is that their are dances, kisses, and heartbreak. WHO's? READ the BOOK!!! ;D
The Ending.
I liked the ending. It was terrible to read the last fight scene, I was actually thinking that she might not make it BUT then some help and weird magic and certain events take place and...;P Many secrets were revealed and betrayals were brought & OMG! the scene with the king @ the end made me go "What the HECK!?!?" Celeana made a HUGE choice that broke my heart BUT she got through it and that last sentence made me want to SCREAM!!!
Overall I LOVED this story. I can't say all that happened BUT YOU MUST READ IT! I already know you will, BUT STILL BUY/BORROW IT ASAP! I am SUPER pumped to read the next book. So I give it my 4.5/5 AMAZING golden feathers. :D
   
What do you think? EXCITED?! Comment <3

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet, but I have to soon, for a tour. I have been reading the novella's which have been excellant, so far(i'm starting #3, tonight) Celeana shows heart in the novella's I've read, and she shows strength, which I love. Great review and now you have me even more excited to finish the novella's and start this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES YES. It WAS TOTALLY amazing! And oooh Team Dorian! *HIGH FIVE* ISNT HE SOOOO SWOONY? But Chaol is pretty awesome *grudgingly*

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.