Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: Cold Fury by T.M. Goeglein

Published: July 24th 2012
By: Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 313
Source: traded for ARC
Summary from Goodreads (here):
Jason Bourne meets The Sopranos in this breathtaking adventure
Sara Jane Rispoli is a normal sixteen-year-old coping with school and a budding romance--until her parents and brother are kidnapped and she discovers her family is deeply embedded in the Chicago Outfit (aka the mob).
Now on the run from a masked assassin, rogue cops and her turncoat uncle, Sara Jane is chased and attacked at every turn, fighting back with cold fury as she searches for her family. It's a quest that takes her through concealed doors and forgotten speakeasies--a city hiding in plain sight.
Though armed with a .45 and 96K in cash, an old tattered notebook might be her best defense--hidden in its pages the secret to "ultimate power." It's why she's being pursued, why her family was taken, and could be the key to saving all of their lives.
Action packed, with fresh, cinematic writing, Cold Fury is a riveting and imaginative adventure readers will devour.
Cold Fury was an unexpected read for me, in a REALLY GOOD WAY. I was a little unsure of reading this book at first, it took me a bit to get used to the cinematic writing style of the author. But once that was established and a couple of chapters in and i was addicted.
The Story
I really liked that this story was not slow at all. It was action packed with car chases, masked killers,and crazy family secrets. There were elements that really worked like the flashbacks into Sara Jane's childhood. As the story continues we uncover some huge secrets that greatly affect Sara's life. We meet some colorful people and learn more about the mafia in Chicago. Which I found fascinating.
The Character's
I really enjoyed the way the author introduced us to all the characters, slowly and uniquely in their own ways. I loved Sara Jane's determination wand cleverness PLUS she has A COLD FURY and is a fighter. Her friend Doug is a against violence and shares Sara's love of old movies. Max is a nice guy who genuinely like Sara and tries to protect Doug from the bullies. The family is all very close and I liked that. BUT the uncle I kind of felt bad for @ the end of the book.
The Ending
WOW.That ending was not what I was expecting. Some characters make some appearances again and some found forgiveness in death. I was shocked with the betrayal that Sara Jane has to endure and that she has to continue her journey not so alone makes me happy. The ending was sweet and comfy. And the last sentence made me go "OMG!" SO I AM PUMPED TO READ THE NEXT ONE.
Overall I really enjoyed & LOVED this book and was happy I traded for it. I HIGHLY recommend you read this book if you like books with TONS OF ACTION and a strong main character.

NOW WATCH THE AWESOMETASTIC TRAILER!


THAT'S IT!! What do U think? LIKE IT? HAVE YOU READ IT? LEAVE ME A COMMENT :D

4 comments:

  1. FIVE FEATHERS? A must read then! And old movies are the best! but new ones are better! ;D AND WHAT WAS THE ENDING. *MUST TELL ME*

    Thanks for revewing htis! I WILL READ. PROMISE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting this one on my list sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COOL! Thanks for stopping by Jamie, much <3!

      Delete
  3. I have passed this one up several times at the library. I think that I need to take the chance next time and bring it home. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.