Sunday, August 19, 2012

[A must read] Review: Counting Backwards by Laura Lascarso

Published: August 14th 2012
by: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Pages: 279
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
Summary: [Goodreads/Amazon/ B&N]
Three weeks ago I tried to run away from home. Now all I want is to go back.
When troubled Taylor Truwell is caught with a stolen car and lands in court for resisting arrest, her father convinces the judge of an alternative to punishment: treatment in a juvenile psychiatric correctional facility.
Sunny Meadows is anything but the easy way out, and Taylor has to fight hard just to hold on to her sanity as she battles her parents, her therapist, and vicious fellow patients. But even as Taylor struggles to hold on to her stubborn former self, she finds herself relenting as she lets in two unlikely friends-Margo, a former child star and arsonist, and AJ, a mysterious boy who doesn’t speak.
In this striking debut, Laura Lascarso weaves together a powerful story of anger and self-destruction, hope and love.

My thoughts (Lisseth):

"This book was such an emotional ride, full of love, forgiveness, and finding out how to change & discover one's true self. I was COMPLETELY immersed in the book, it IS one of my FAVORITE YA contemporary debuts of this year!"
From the above praise, you know that I LOVED this book! I am always looking for those YA contemporary books that really attract me & can capture my attention, and this book did that from the start. The Summary in itself made me WANT to read it, I mean she is sent to a "juvenile psychiatric correctional facility", I always LOVE being inside a girls head in those type of situations. PLUS that cover is just so creepy & Beautiful!
This story from the begging snatches you into it's net of emotions. I was SO ANGRY with Taylors parent's and what she had to suffer, GOD! that was just the FIRST chapter. Then it gets even more crazy. She deals with so much & ur constantly living all these emotions & events with her. Their are a lot of events that bring her to rehabilitation. She tries to escape & that's when she completely loses herself & those chapter made me feel so alone, sad, and betrayed along with her. AH! I felt like I WAS going insane.
Then that whole think about "playing their game" made so much more sense to try instead of running. I really liked that part. She was clever but she never truly lost old self just made it better. You can actually see & feel the change & I LOVE it. Especially how she fixed her relationship with her parents.
I really got attached to these characters, they just grow on you. Taylor was so strong, stubborn, crazy, and an amazing person; she just didn't know it. Margo & Charlotte were so special & made me want to meet them so badly because they were just so sweet & encouraging.Even the therapist Dr. Debb grew on me & the Safeties. Really wished this book NEVER ENDED.
The romance brings me to A.J. He was so sweet, shy, troubled, and romantic. He went through a lot & even more to reach & make Taylor realize he LOVED her. Taylor had so many emotions when she was with him. How they met was so sweet & mysterious. I ALWAYS WANTED more of them. Then their is a betrayal & I was SHOCKED. it gets fixed very slowly & carefully. PLUS they really are made for each other. They LISTEN to each other & care deeply for one another.
Their is JUST SO MUCH I can't put into words because this book can't be explained in a simple review, it goes beyond that & makes u think & wonder, "What would I HAVE DONE in her place?" I was SO IMMERSED in this book and COULD NOT STOP READING!
I really could NOT part with this story, I was tearing, actual TEARS!!! by the ending. It just invoked so many emotions from you. She had just found a place & people to call home & then she has to leave...=*( Very emotional good-byes!
Overall it was an AMAZING debut! I will & always LOVE this BOOK! I highly recommend this book is you like sweet & fast reads, insane emotional rides, and it kinda reminded me of Simone Elkeles-Leaving Paradise series.
So if love those then this is the PERFECT book to read! I can't wait to read more books by this Author! You must read this book!!5/5 AMAZING GOLDEN FEATHERS!
   

Book-Music match up:

Adele's "One & Only" is perfect for this book. Especially on Taylor & A.J.'s relationship. The lyrics are EXACTLY what they went through. The had to forgive, trust & it was "not easy to give up their heart" ENJOY! =D

I know it's a long review but what do u think about this book? Comment!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the amazing review! I love the cover and have it on my wish list. It's sounds like an awesome book! Since Pushing the Limits I can't wait to read more contemporary and I think I'll love this book even more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was AWESOME & Pushing the limits was another great YA contemporary! ^__^

      Delete
  2. Ah awesome review hun!! I am DEFF going to be picking this up soon now! :DDDDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :3 Glad u liked my review Haley! And YAY happy to hear that :D Thanks for stopping by MUCH <33!

      Delete
  3. I read this book and too loved it great review. I can say though I want more, more to the story you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYAY And I SO DO know what u mean! I NEED MORE of this story! thanks for stopping by Krista, much <33!

      Delete
  4. Your review made me want to read it RIGHT NOW! Sounds like an amazing book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG IT SO IS! And u have to READ IT RIGHT NOW! Thanks for stopping by Alice, MUCH <33!

      Delete
  5. I have only heard very little about this, but just that very little was nothing but praise for this story. Your review is definitely good at convincing me I should read this one, asap! Thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a hidden jem ;) And aww :3 U HAVE TO READ IT! Thanks for stopping by my review Jaime, as always MUCH <333!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.