Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Published: January 11,2011
By: Razorbill
Pages: 416
Source: Trade
Challenges: Ultimate Reviewer (August)
Summary: [Goodreads / Amazon]
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
My thoughts (Lisseth):
"This book was OMG AWESOME! It was filled with secrets, heartache, and a world that is both intriguing and scary"
I knew i would LOVE this book from the synopsis. Normally I don't read many science fiction books so that I actually WANTED to read this book was unbelievable to me. The cover is a big helper and I LOVED this cover more than the new one.
The Story/World-building.
I loved the concept for this story. i mean who wants to be frozen for 300 years? Me, possibly. I mean you don't age so thats a plus. Plus i hadn't read a book that had that in its story so it was definitively unique. The Story is NOT slow at all. We start with Amy being frozen and that scene just grabbed me & my emotions. Really great way to start a book. Then once she's un-frozen she realizes all shes lost and to me it gave depth to her character. Then throughout the book their are many things that happen to her and Elder AND the story is just so rich in plot twists and secrets and history that it KEPT ME CAPTIVATED.
The Characters.
I LOVED the characters in this book SO MUCH. Amy of course i thought would be ur typical girl but as the book progressed she got a tough shell and was very clever and observant. She does go through some tough situations but she prevailed. Unharmed? No, she has the emotional scars but thats what makes her a great MC. Elder sounded like my kind of guy he was a leader, smart, and caring. I loved his POV's a lot because it let me see into his head. Harvy, GOD he made me CRY SO MUCH!!! Y? Read the BOOK!!
The Romance.
From the Synopsis i wasn't expecting a romance but i definetly enjoyed finding a real and Solid romance in this book. Their was an understanding between Amy & Elder, they were both different and yet the same. I loved that they weren't an insta-love sorta thing but that they both had to work for a relationship.
The Ending.
The ending is crazy!There are secrets that HUGELY affect the main characters and the story entirely. I was shocked by some revelations. There are deaths and I really CRIED for one in particular and for the other i was just happy that he was taken out of the picture because he was truly evil. It was an AWESOME way to end the first book.
Overall it was SUPER AWESOME and actually made me READ MORE science fiction YA/Adult books. So I HIGHLY recommend you read this book, you will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! So it gets 5/5 golden feathers!
   
What did u think? Comment this month & u could win a book!

9 comments:

  1. I am SO SUPER GLAD that you loved this book!!! I agree that it was insanely awesome! And you are going to adore A Million Suns! I actually think I liked A Million Suns even more than Across the Universe, if that's even possible!

    What do you think about the new cover art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Asley and I am going to pick up A million Suns SOON! I actually liked the original cover art it was what attracted me to the books actually. The new covers look very plain and not as artistic as the originals.

      Delete
    2. *faceslap* and i spelled Ashley wrong. -__-

      Delete
  2. I've started this book and couldn't get through it. I'm not sure I'd call it a DNF because it was on my kindle, and I'm a terrible at reading e-copies. I'm so glad you liked it though! I met Beth Revis at a signing and she is awesome! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Krista! And i am bad at reading e-copies too! That's y i traded for a print copy plus it's SO SHINY and pretty on my shelf. OMG i want to meet her too, i only saw her on the spreecast session that they had a few months back. ^__^

      Delete
  3. I don't really read too much science fiction, but this sounds amazing! I'm really excited to read this. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! Across the Universe sounds amazing. Why have I not read it yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've been on the fence about reading this book. It sounds like it would be something I like and I love that you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. I had heard of the book before but this is the first review I have read about it. Thanks! Love that you added the book trailer!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.