Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: Birthmarked (Birthmarked #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien

Published: March 30th 2010
By: Roaring Brook Press
Pages: 361
Source: Library
Challenge: Ultimate reviewer (August)
Summary: [Goodreads/Amazon]
In the future, in a world baked dry by the harsh sun, there are those who live inside the walled Enclave and those, like sixteen-year-old Gaia Stone, who live outside.
Following in her mother’s footsteps Gaia has become a midwife, delivering babies in the world outside the wall and handing a quota over to be "advanced" into the privileged society of the Enclave. Gaia has always believed this is her duty, until the night her mother and father are arrested by the very people they so loyally serve.
Now Gaia is forced to question everything she has been taught, but her choice is simple: enter the world of the Enclave to rescue her parents, or die trying.
A stunning adventure brought to life by a memorable heroine, this dystopian debut will have readers racing all the way to the dramatic finish.
My thoughts (Lisseth):
"This book was just...WOW.Their are no words to say how AMAZING this book was!"
This was another of those random reads, where I saw the cover (which I LOVED) and then when I read the back & saw the word: "ENCLAVE" I thought it was like the Enclave in the Mortal Instruments. Of course it wasn't BUT it did get me interested. I read it SO fast my fingers were singed! It was just SO GOOD!
The World-building/story.
The world Gaia lives in is creepy, VERY dystopian, and has this charm about it that just kept me addicted to find out more. The idea to me for this book was UNIQUE.I loved that you never knew what was coming next. Then their were the secrets that Gaia uncovers that literally left me SPEECHLESS. Their is a mild amount of action Especially @ the End. Plus A HUGE dicovery & sadness that I was NOT EXPECTING! This world made me wonder & think A LOT.
The Characters.
Gaia was my kind of MC. She was fierce, damaged, determined, and wise. I loved that she was a survivor. She would risk it ALL for those she loved and did LOSE someone in the battle. She was just SO STRONG! Leon was charming, handsome, and had BIG Guilty Baggage. I loved learning about these two characters & ESPECIALLY about Leon's family. Whom were crazy yet pleasant to an extent. Gaia's mother & Orion...=( not much I can tell without crying or gasping from shock.
The Romance.
The Romance was a sweet & tough one to acquire. Their was this rightness to it. They were both imperfect and both had to learn to trust each other. I loved it when they were together. ESPECIALLY in a certain scene where it's raining ;D Plus it wasn't insta-love, their was doubt & a lot of work went into it. They were just PERFECT, and that made the ending SO MUCH WORSE!
The Ending.
The ending was WOW! Literally SO much was going on. Their was an escape, a death, and an UNIMAGINABLE Sacrifice! I was happy one second just to BE TURNED AROUND and was crying & sad! It ends with a great cliffhanger, sorta. I mean their is a book 2 BUT it was a perfect ENDING! =D
Overall this book was an AMAZING debut & one of my favorite Dystopian Books yet! I enjoyed this SO much! I am practically fan girling here. Their is SO MUCH that I can't say because I WANT YOU TO READ THIS BOOK!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this for anyone who loves a fast Dystopian read! So obviously 5/5 Golden feathers!
   
Since it's friday, a VIDEO!
This book is one of my favorites and i think it touches on some of the subjects in the book. Enjoy =D
What did you think? Love/hate? Comment & u could win a book this month!

3 comments:

  1. I've heard of this book, but haven't picked it up. It sounds amazing, though. I really love strong heroines and the romance sounds great. Love the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! And Gaia is very strong! ^_^

      Delete
  2. All I can do is just repeat what you said. "Wow...just wow". I LOVED this book with a passion. I was very emotionally invested from just a few pages in. When it ended, it kind of broke my heart, where it left out. So, I made myself a promise. I will not read Prized until the final book Promised is out. If I make it, which I have (Go Me!), then I get to sit down and read the whole series, one after the other. That is still the plan, and I cannot wait until Promised is released. It can't come soon enough! Thanks for your fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.