Thursday, August 2, 2012

Review: For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

Published: June 12th 2012
By: Balzer + Bray
Source:Bought
Challenge: Ultimate Reviewers (AUGUST)
Summary (Goodreads/ Amazon):
It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.
Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.
But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever.
Inspired by Jane Austen's "Persuasion", "For Darkness Shows the Stars" is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.

My thoughts (Lisseth):

"This book was moving, heart-aching, suspenseful, and had a love story that was beautifully written out. Completely devoured it!
Were do I start, well,let me just say this book was AMAZING! I had read the short (84 pages) excerpt and the short story prequel, Among the Nameless Stars, and was BLOWN away by Kai's POV and story. I really loved the letters. They start the book and through them we get an understanding of the story, that it's kinda forbidden, since they have to sneak letters.
The Story.
The story starts out being told through letters. In my eyes the world was crafted SO GOOD. You got a sense of their world and their history. It makes sense that their in the future BUT living in what would have been our past, kinda. They do have some awesome technology. The story invokes so many different feelings from the reader. Once the fleet crew are in the picture things take wild turns and secrets and conflicts arise, that made the story SUPER interesting.
The Characters.
The author does SUCH as great job of making characters that are both unique individually and likable. I liked Elliot, and felt that she grew up WAY to fast for her age. I wanted to scream at her father and sister. I liked Olivia & her brother alright. The Fleet crew was my favorite. They were both friendly and yet oddly separate, for good reasons too. I LOVED Kai, he was cold at first, then teasing, and then finally he was sorry. I think the brother and sister from the fleet were the same ones from his short story, which makes me smile.
The Romance.
Okay, this book was SO different in the romance section and that made it all the better. I loved that the two main characters weren't instantly in love but that it was something that had taken time. I liked that they were seperated and had gone through a heartbreak already. I felt like i was reading an adult book in that sense, since this happens a lot in those types of books. I liked the betrayal and the secrets and of course the JEALOUSY! They weird part is they NEVER KISS and it works! They have so much tension already that it isn't needed.
The Ending.
GOD, that ending! It killed me. I was literally jumping with joy and crying @ the same time. Because they BOTH had misunderstood SO MUCH and the ending solved itself really nicely. The wicked father & sister are out of the picture & Elliot gets control of both lands and it brings happiness back to the estate. PLUS then she decides to risk it now that she's gotten everything under control and NOTHING is stopping her from going with Kai. Simply LOVED it!
Overall I LOVED,LOVE,LOVED this story. I can't say all that happened BUT YOU MUST READ IT! I already know you will, BUT STILL BUY/BORROW IT ASAP! I am SUPER pumped to read the next book. YES their WILL be a next one! So I give it my 5/5 AMAZING golden feathers. :D
   

Video matching book:

You guys know i LOVE music, so i picked this one which i think does a great job dealing with the ROMANCE in this book. =D

What did you think? LOVED it or not?! Comment <3

9 comments:

  1. Glad you loved it, I really enjoyed it. It's inspired by my favourite Jane Austen Novel, Persuasion, but while the conflicts between Kai (Wentworth) and Elliot were kept, I loved how Diana Peterfreund made this story very much her own with the world building. Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't got to read this one yet but, I am dying to check it out, I love it when a book at the end makes you just wanna jump up and down and tell everyone to read it. Amazing review! Now I really have to move it up on my TBR pile!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLLA. I'm commentIng because you read this in August and I wanna win it. #ohya #bbfsforever #ahh

    ReplyDelete
  4. So yeah. I really would love to win this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read all of the books you read in August btw. Except one. MHUAHAHHAHA. So I will comment on this one until I annoy you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY I JUST MET YOU AND THIS IS CRAZY BUT HERE'S MY NUMBA SO CALL ME MAYBE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THERE'S 24 OF US GALE AND ONLY ONE COMES OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm glad it ends good. And that song seems to go perfect. Adele is so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.