Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica #1) by Beth Fantaskey

Published: February 1st 2009
By: Harcourt
Pages: 351
Source: Bought/Library
Challenge: Ultimate reviewers (august)
Summary:
The undead can really screw up your senior year ...
Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancĂ©.
Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess.
But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.
My thoughts (Lisseth & Karina):
"This book was just... -__- no words for it. It didn't deliver."
Me and Karina both read this book, well she actually finished it, I just couldn't finish it i just pretty much skipped throughout the end. This is gonna be one of those like/dislike list review we only do when we both have a strong opinion on a book. Let the fun begin!
Liked:
*We both liked the premise of this book. I mean pre-arranged marriage to a VAMPIRE, a pretty hot one, ah YES i love the concept!
*We both agreed on the begging, it was really good & kept our attention. It was all kinda sudden to Jessica and that kinda made me want to keep reading to see what was gonna come around the corner.
*Some characters were interesting. We actually like Lucius, at the begging, not so much at the end. Jessica's family environment was nice. We liked the hidden, laid back feel. And some scenes were interesting.
Disliked:
*One HUGE problem was the introduction of secondary love characters for BOTH Jessica & Lucius. We really didn't like this addition. They were both trying to make the other jealous. It just didn't work. We liked Lucian trying to win Jessica over BUT she kept being stubborn & ignoring him! >__<
*Then comes the whole council & family troubles...AH! It was just so confusing. Then the war. Lucius leaves spontaneously back to Romania. Jessica is distraught & goes AFTER HIM, after he acted like a jerk.
*Then while their their in Romania and she wants to keep the truce & marry Lucius BUT then they fight & he says, "NO" and then their is a stake involved and Karina said it wasn't the best ending. I (Lizzy) didn't like the second half of the book & couldn't finish.
Overall we weren't impressed by this book. That doesn't mean we don't like Beth's other books, because we BOTH loved Jekel Loves Hyde and that was AWESOME! So 2.5/5 golden feathers.
What did u think? Good/bad? Comment & enter to win a book!

5 comments:

  1. I keep seeing mixed reviews on this one, hmmm I have been wanting to read her other book Jeckyl Loves Hyde but, I don't know such a hard decision to make when I have so many books to read lol

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but Jekel loves Hide WAS SUPER AMAZING. def read it! ^_^

      Delete
  2. DUDE THREE STARS? I GAVE THIS A ONE. IT WAS JUST...NO. I like my paranormal dark though. And ugh yeah. What was up with that? A LOVE SQUARE? *headdesk*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy this one. I always hate when I like a book and others don't. I always want everyone to have a happy experience. I actually enjoyed this story. That much I remember. But it has been such a long time since I read it, I honestly don't remember much about the actual story. My opinion may change if I reread it, because I have read some incredible, fantastic books since!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, this doesn't see to be a popularly liked book. The title drew me in but based on the review and some comments, I think I will pass for now. However, I must say that sadly I cannot even read the summary well. Those colors make reading difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.