Wednesday, September 5, 2012

[Enticing & Riveting] ARC Review: Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

PUB DATE: September 4th 2012
By: HarperCollins
Pages: 306
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
Summary: [Goodreads/Amazon]
In a city of daimons, rigid class lines separate the powerful from the power-hungry. And at the heart of The City is the Carnival of Souls, where both murder and pleasure are offered up for sale.
Once in a generation, the carnival hosts a deadly competition that allows every daimon a chance to join the ruling elite. Without the competition, Aya and Kaleb would both face bleak futures--if for different reasons. For each of them, fighting to the death is the only way to try to live.
All Mallory knows of The City is that her father--and every other witch there--fled it for a life in exile in the human world. Instead of a typical teenage life full of friends and maybe even a little romance, Mallory scans quiet streets for threats, hides herself away, and trains to be lethal. She knows it's only a matter of time until a daimon finds her and her father, so she readies herself for the inevitable.
While Mallory possesses little knowledge of The City, every inhabitant of The City knows of her. There are plans for Mallory, and soon she, too, will be drawn into the decadence and danger that is the Carnival of Souls.
From Melissa Marr, bestselling author of the Wicked Lovely series and "Graveminder," comes a brand-new tale of lush secrets, dark love, and the struggle to forge one's own destiny.
My Thought's (Lisseth):
Just want to say that I LOVED Carnival of Souls! It had everything i thought it would have; A riveting & enticing other world, strong characters, ACTION, LOVE, and of course the challenges.
I love how Melissa Marr can incorporate SO many different points of views and stories into one. Each character in this book has their own troubled past & future. I had a love/hate kinda thing with how each chapter ended. I mean each chapter felt like a cliffhanger! >__< So one characters story stopped and another would start up. It was nerve racking BUT I LOVED it because we were always being pulled into the stories once they started again.
The world that melissa Marr created was,as i expected, magical & unique. I LOVED that it was based on Daimons & witches. I don't see much of that in the paranormal YA books. Their is just such a rich detail to the world of the book that you truely believe it exits. I don't know where she gets these ideas for her books, BUT they are AWESOME and riveting. ^__^
The characters each had a charm to them. A power. It was hard NOT to like them. PLUS all the characters intertwined in the story and each held a purpose. I LOVED Mallory's story & character most of all. Especially Kaleb. This brings me to the revelations that are made in the book. Some are really unexpected and their is a lot going on.
I LOVED that you never get bored. The romance was equally sweet & their are times where you just HAVE to go, "aww". Then their are parts that make you "GASP" especially at the begging. (check the trailer out, it's SUPER accurate to Aya & Belias story.)
Overall, I LOVED carnival of souls! And from that ending i am PRETTY sure their HAS TO BE A SEQUEL! Because it can NOT end their. I already Know most of you will be picking this up BUT if you don't or haven't then U MUST READ IT NOW!! So 5/5 GOLDEN FEATHERS!!!
  
Might want to check this video too =D
Have u read it yet? yes/No? Excited? Leave a comment to win a book this month!

9 comments:

  1. I think you just convinced me to read this book. Everything you just said makes me really want to read it.

    Awesome review, Brittan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I just know you will LOVE it! Thanks for the comment ^_^

      Delete
  2. I knew very little about Carnival of Souls, but actually now I'm drooling to read it!!(see what you've done lol) ;D

    It's really exciting & engrossing when an author can flesh out a novel with well-written multiple characters - and I loved what you said about each chapter being like a mini cliff hanger!!! That doesn't happen too often, so I can't wait to get ahold of this.

    Also, the cover is wicked sweet!!
    Mary DeBorde M.A.D.
    zenrei57 (at) hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking forward to this book for a long time. Really long time. I love Melissa Marr in a huge way, and Carnival of Souls sounds like it is right up my alley. When reviews started surfacing for it, and some of them weren't so positive I got a little weepy. Now I have your review to replace all of the negative reviews in my head. Thank you, thank you, thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Jaime this is one of my favorite comments! It made my day ^_^ I am also a HUGE melissa marr fan! Thanks for the kind words. =D

      Delete
  4. I am so excited to get the audiobook, James Martsters Aka Spike from Buffy is narrating it sooo excited lol. Loved your review Lisseth!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO JEALOUS you got to read this! It's one of those to-die-for books, isn't it? And Melissa Marr ALWAYS creates a magical and unique world! It's totally her primary talent! :D :D :D And yes lol. THERE IS A SEQUEL CALM DOWN. XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this cover! I wanted to get my hands on this a while back, but I just have not had any luck. I love Melissa Marr! She is a great author. Thanks for sharing, so excited about reading this and the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Melisa Marr love her books so thank you for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.