Saturday, September 29, 2012

[Banging] ARC Review: The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress

PUB DATE: December 6th 2012
By: Dial
Pages: 440
Source: Around the world ARC tours
Summary: [Goodreads/Amazon]
An action-packed tale of gowns, guys, guns--and the heroines who use them all
Set in Edwardian London, The Friday Society follows the stories of three very intelligent and talented young women, all of whom are assistants to powerful men: Cora, lab assistant; Michiko, Japanese fight assistant; and Nellie, magician's assistant. The three young women's lives become inexorably intertwined after a chance meeting at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered mystery man.
It's up to these three, in their own charming but bold way, to solve the murder--and the crimes they believe may be connected to it--without calling too much attention to themselves.
Told with Adrienne Kress's sharp wit and a great deal of irreverence, this Steampunk whodunit introduces three unforgettable and very ladylike--well, relatively ladylike--heroines poised for more dangerous adventures.
My Thought's (Lisseth):
Man, oh man. This book has the most AWESOMEest cover EVER; with a story just as AWESOME! It was totally MORE than what i expected! It had the gowns, the guys and the guns like it promises. PLUS has strong female characters that aren't afraid to risk it to get some answers.
This book starts out with a BANG. Like Literally! It starts with Corra's story & I loved how each girl gets her part at the start. OH but you don't want to leave any of the girls POV's because each chapter is like a mini cliffhanger! @_@ I was looking for the next part BUT i resisted temptation & was then addicted to the new POV & that girls story. Believe me it sounds complicated but it's NOT!
I Loved how the author put all three girls POV and how each girl was unique and strong in their own hidden ways ;D You really get mesmerized by all they can accomplish together. There are definitely some intense scenes with fighting, sword, and guns. PLUS a huge betrayal is done to one of the girls and DANG it I was not expecting it!!!!! >_<
There is a mystery in all of this and we meet some really interesting characters. Like Hayao who is a student to Michiko and wants to be a Samurai too. AH! Really touching scenes with Michiko. Oh the guys...There is Andrew from Corra's story and Officer Murphey from Nellie's story. They were both really...something. Andrew is all confidence and a bit to eager if u ask me...i wonder why ;) And then there's officer Murphey whom was strong and yet sorta boyish...i liked him a lot ^_^
Throughout the book there are TONS of threats and murder attempts. The girls try to find who is the murderer and when you find out who it is....BANG u will not have even KNOWN to suspect them. Really the entire book is filled with awesome! The girls are witty, clever and tough. The action is intense and the emotions are hard! (someone dies!!!! *tears*)
Overall, I could not put this book down! It is highly addictive and the story one that is not easily forgotten. It surpassed any and ALL my expectations!!! I LOVED it and can not WAIT to see more from this author in the future! ^_^ So 5/5 ROCKING GOLDEN FEATHERS!!!
  
Book-Video:
AH!! In pure spirit of the book, i chose this song Mona Lisa by Panic at the Disco!!! It has all the clothing from there era! Check it out & ENJOY!! =D
What do you think? LEAVE A Comment & u could win the DIVINERS!-Comment Contest.

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait for December! The cover is so awesome, and I've been pinning for The Friday Society for months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a lot of books with different POV's through the whole book so that wouldn't bother me. Ellen Hopkins books for example :D I think it makes the story feel more real and you get to see someones else take on a situation. This book sounds fantastic and I'm going to be adding it to my TBR pile. Also loved the song choice :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to hear that the alternating viewpoints are actually well-done and addicting - now I'm really curious as to what the * huge betrayal* was that happened to one of the girls! Good that you resisted the urge to jump ahead to the next POV continuation --- because that's really tough not to do!!

    The Pretty Little Liars series has tempted me so many times to *jump* on ahead, so far I've managed to resist (so far lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scariest. GIF. EVER. and multiple POVs are AWESOME!!! :D and O_O HUGE BETRAYAL?! EEEPPP!!!! ACK. A MUST ADD. You're making me broke Lizzy! ...threats and murder attempts? O_O Dude. I'm seirously broke by now

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Friday Society.
    Love the name. Wonder what is the story behind it.
    The cover is pure AWESOMENESS. I immediately knew which one is cora, nelie, and michiko :)
    I love novels about independent, head-strong young women. And this one really looks like its my type!
    Loved your review, Lisseth!
    I think that I should try the ARC worldwide tours soon!
    Your constant reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Wow!!! You've got me really wanting to read this!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.