Friday, October 26, 2012

[Captivating] ARC Review: Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

PUB DATE: February 13th 2013
By: Philomel Books
Pages: 348
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
Summary: [Goodreads / Amazon]
It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own.
Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street.
Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.
With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.
My Thought's (Lisseth):
First off, I feel kinda ashamed that I haven't read Ruta's debut YA novel, Between Shades of gray, because I LOVED this book x100! And i did not EXPECT it to be so captivating and AWESOME! =D
This book comes out in February @_@, so I will keep it Spoiler free. But I will say what I LOVED about this book, even though I rarely read historical books.
First off it's set in New Orleans, a place I LOVE thanks to Sherrilyn Kenyon, and just for that I wanted to read this book. But what really captured me was the time period. It was like going back in time and it miraculously managed to captivate me, I LOVE it when books do that! ^_^
I have to say that i REALLY liked Josie. From the start she was smart, witty, and strong. Her mom's a prostitute, which must be hard but she learned from a tender age to take care of herself. She tries to be different than her mother. I felt her struggle and could connect with her character and she amazed me at times. REALLY SHE DID. If she had been different I don't think I would have loved the book so much.
Yes, there were TONS some crazy and complex characters that captivated me too, like Willie. She comes off as harsh and mean but I could tell she had her reasons and yes a heart. I really liked her character. Then there is Josie's mom...T_T yeah. I didn't like her AT ALL! Then again i don't think we were supposed to, because in reality there are mothers like that unfortunately. =/
I could go on but i feel like this book was more about the people and not JUST the story. Weird but it fits because you feel more connected and you will not want to stop reading! And yes there are those heart melting, hug bearing moments in the book, with one character in particular, Cokie who was like a dad to Josie & believed and loved her from the start.
Overall, the writing was SO well done, the character [though not perfect] were great. YES THERE is: a mystery, action, and a romance; but most of all it was on a girl and her very real life. FROM way back when, yet you could still relate. It felt REAL and that's what I LOVE to feel in a historical book. =D
This book was AMAZING and I will HAVE to read BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY next!! PRE-ORDER THIS like NOW! So I give this book 4.5/5 OUTSTANDING GOLDEN FEATHERS!
Book-Song Match up:
Picked In my City by Ellie Goulding because if you hear the lyrics, you'll see EXACTLY what Josie felt when she was in her city, New Orleans & how she wanted to dream and be free! ^_^ ENJOY!
What do u think? Comment this month and you could win FANG GIRL & SWAG!!

4 comments:

  1. oh wow now I really want to read this book. I am a huge fan of books that focus on characters as much as they focus on the actual plot. Also, this time period is one that I really enjoy reading about.

    great review!!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover didn't make much sense until I read the summary and your review, but now looking at it I can see the symbolism.

    Daughter of a prostitute in New Orleans . . . her life must have been very difficult, I hope I have time to read this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to read this! I loved Ruta's first book. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O YES YOU DO HAVE TO READ THIS! I still need to read her first book but i will! Thanks for stopping by the review Jay, MUCH <33!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.