Sunday, December 23, 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW + Excerpt + Spotlight : R.E.Palmer author of Sky!

Today were having the awesome R.E. Palmer author of the recently released book SKY. He comes from the far away land called ENGLAND for this interview today. So let's begin! ^_^
1) If you had to describe yourself in just one word, what would it be and why?
Curious - As a young child, I loved to watch the night sky from my bed and try to imagine what it would be like to travel in space. Later, I became fascinated by gadgets and technology and would want to know how they worked.
Now, I like to watch people and imagine why they're doing what they're doing, where they're from and whether they have any dark secrets. It's also great for coming up with ideas for stories.
2) Can you tell me what inspired it you to write SKY?
The family dog, Smudge - in a roundabout sort of way. Whilst walking the dog, my daughter and I would discuss ideas for stories. Initially we came up with the concept of a number of teenagers around the world sharing the same dream. I did start to write it, but it didn't quite work. SKY still involves the core of that idea, except that it's just a boy and a girl who see each other whilst daydreaming.
The inspiration comes partly from my experience of falling asleep - it's that moment when suddenly your thoughts come from another place and are no longer your own. I get some weird and wonderful thoughts at this time and try to write them down in the morning. The rest comes from being a shy teenager and being madly in love with a girl for years, but never plucking up the courage to ask her out.
Tomas, one of the main characters in SKY, has the dilemma of being in love with someone, but not knowing is she's for real. I guess we all want to believe there's someone out there with our name on - but are we destined to meet them?
3) Okay, when you saw the cover to your book, what was your initial reaction?
Eeeek! It's funny, you can spend an tremendous amount of time writing a book, but it's not until you see the cover, that you finally start to believe it's for real. That's why I thought eeeek. I love the cover. Sophie (@littlestringers on Twitter) designed the cover for my last non-fiction book and we worked closely on this one.
I'm probably the last person a designer wants to work with, because I have so many ideas that probably get in the way of the process. I wanted something a bit different that would get across the main theme of the book. I looked at hundreds of book covers and gave Sophie some ideas of what I liked and what I didn't. A colleague of mine described the finished product as contemporary gothic - quite a good description I think.
4) If you were stranded on a deserted island what 3 things would you want to bring with you?
Okay, assuming I can't take my family and dog, the first one's easy - my laptop. I take it everywhere and can't write on anything else, plus I could load all my favourite books, videos and photos on it (is that cheating?). Second would be my iPod as music helps spark my imagination. And third, a telescope so I could explore the clear, night skies above the island.
5) Is there a song you could list as the theme song for your book or any of your characters?
Oh yes, plenty. I discoverd early on, how much easier it is to write with music. I listened mainly to The Pierces when writing the scenes for Carly, so I would say "We Are Stars" by The Pierces is her 'theme'.
For the darker scenes I found Pendulum's album 'Immersion' worked well with its dramatc, thumping beat. And it's a track from that CD, 'The Island Part I' that epitomises Tomas's determination in the face over overwhelming odds. And then anything by Lana Del Rey helps to bring passion to my writing.
[WOAH @_@ Some rocking tracks here and I love Lana Del Rey!]
6) What is one of your most favorite Quotes?
It's a tie between...
"It is better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all.'
and
'The holes in your Swiss cheese, are somebody else's Swiss cheese.'
Deep :0) I don't know who said it, but it makes you think doesn't it :0)
Well that was it guys! What did I tell you AWESOME right?! Thanks R.E. for being here today! =D now...
About R.E. Palmer's book, SKY:
Published: November 29, 2012
Published By: FrontRunner Publications
Genre: YA Paranormal/ fantasy
Tomas Moone has a secret - he’s terrified if anyone found out, he’ll lose the girl of his dreams he’s so desperate to meet.
Selene has a secret - she fears if Tomas discovers the truth, he’ll reject her, and the last of her race will be lost forever.
Carly has no secrets – she’s in a coma. If Tomas fails to rescue her, she will suffer an eternity of horror and torment.
For the first time in her career, Shelley has a killer story, but she dare not tell it… no one would ever believe her.
Sky is a paranormal, sci-fi story for young adults.

PROLOGUE
In the timeless space between consciousness and sleep, Tomas Moone met the girl he would love for the rest of his short time on Earth. It happened during one of those perfect summer days you don’t want to end.
He lay on the grass, gazing up at the sky, trying to look at those strange, squiggly things you get in your eye. But as soon as he caught a glimpse of one, it darted away. As Tomas drifted off to sleep, he saw her face and named her Sky.
She seemed just as surprised as Tomas, but then the small, blonde girl with the pretty face smiled and disappeared.
About R.E. Palmer:


I live near Bedford in England. I'm married with two children. I've played many sports since I could first walk. I obtained a 2nd Dan Karate black belt quite some time ago. I'm a teacher of The Alexander Technique, and I love to read and write.
Find him on: Twitter / Website / Blog

It's also R.E's son's birthday tomorrow the 24th!! So Happy early Birthday! And you know here we like to make gif parties...HERE WE GO!
WOHOO PARTY!! =P
*throws cyber confetti* HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ^_^
THAT'S IT! What do u think interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.