Monday, January 21, 2013

[Dark and Gripping] REVIEW: Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo

PUB DATE: June 5th 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Pages: 358
Source: summer trade (ARC)
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.
Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.
Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.

My Review:
There are times in my life that I am surprised at how amazing a story was and SHADOW and BONE was one of them! It was dark, it was twisted, it was a complete and utter ride of emotions, lies, and power!
AH! I am going to try to be brief because i know I'll fangirl if i keep writing this. It actually took me 2 days to get my thoughts together enough to write this review :P From the first page to the last this book will take hold of you and you will NEVER want to let go! I devoured it!
Okay, one of the things i LOVED about this book was the world-building. From the first page I was thrust into a world of magic, myth, and danger. There are various types of orders, like Corporalki, which are heartrenders and healers. PLUS the SHADOW FOLD O_O woah that thing was scary and made me shiver every time it was mentioned and what lied in it. A dark world in which one girl was there light and hope ;)
Now Characters. Alina, oh Alina. She was tough but yet had a weakness for wanting to be desired. I liked her especially since she could fight and WIELD LIGHT as a weapon!! And even though I screamed at her at certain parts of the books, I understood her and connected with her because she not only had to seek her destiny but the truth to her heart.
The Darkling and Mal. AH!!! Okay so there is a twisted romance in this book, very twisted. I was like ":O the Darkling is SO mysterious, yet i don't trust him" and i was right, he had other motives! He lied and betrayed Alina and and and AH! I just don't like him AT ALL, well maybe as the villain :) Mal. I LOVED Mal!! At first i hated him in the begging, y? because he seems so un-interested in Alina but WOW he surprised me and made me swoon and fall in love with him!
There's the perfect balance of action and pacing. It wasn't all the time training or fighting; there were balls and presentations and it all came together SO WELL! So you're not "come on get to the action, the kissing!" NO. I was never impatient and read this whole thing without peeking (truth).
One thing though, That ending. It was a turmoil of emotions, one second calm the next crazy and then calm again. I LOVED it but it LEFT ME LIKE THIS:
Overall, this was a great fantasy book filled with twists and turns, lies, truths, betrayal, and what it means to be strong enough to make hard choices. I LOVED it and once I finished i literally got out of bed and couldn't stop from shouting that I NEEDED THE NEXT BOOK! So, 5/5 AMAZING STARS!
Ah-ma-zing! It blew my mind away at how AMAZING it was, definitely a MUST READ NOW! :D

My Favorite Quotes:
“The moment our lips met, I knew with pure and piercing certainty that I would have waited for him forever.”
“They are orphans again, with no true home but each other and whatever life they can make together on the other side of the sea.”
“I'm not like you, Mal. I never really fit in the way you did. I never really belonged anywhere."
"You belonged with me.”
“The problem with wanting is that it makes us weak”
“This was his soul made flesh, the truth of him laid bare in the blazing sun, shorn of mystery and shadow. This was the truth behind the handsome face and the miraculous powers, the truth that was the dead and empty space between the stars, a wasteland peopled by frightened monsters.”
“The thought filled me with grief, grief for the dreams we'd shared, for the love I'd felt, for the hopeful girl I would never be again.”
That's it! Read it? Liked it? COMMENT! :)

8 comments:

  1. Just read this book a couple days ago. ADORED it. Why can't the next book just be out, uh, NOW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, right!?! Y can't it be out NOW >_< Hopefully time moves faster :P Thanks for commenting Kelsey! Cant wait for YOUR book to come out too!! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Well, I have heard so damn much about Shadow and Bone. LOVED the cover and the ideas, but never really had the time to read it.
    LOVE your review, Lisseth
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, i had too and I LOVE the cover! Glad u like my review Soma. Thanks for checking out my review, MUCH <33!

      Delete
  3. thanks for the great review! I'm dying to read this series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking it out & U GOTTA READ THIS BOOK ASAP! MUCH <33!

      Delete
  4. I really want to read this one, but I have wait got a long list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >.<I got a long list too BUT U MUST make some room for this one, IT IS EPIC! Thanks for checking out my review Jamie, MUCH <333!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.