Friday, January 11, 2013

Review: UGLIES by Scott Westerfeld with pictures + Major Quotes!

PUB DATE: March 2005
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 425
Source: bought for a dollar!
Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party.
But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty.
The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.
**Note: Okay so as you can see on my banner I LOVE the uglies series but I'm just getting to reviewing them. And since I am MEGA Uglies fan I have all the books and now the manga's. SO now I can add pictures to the review, WOHOO! And i love the original covers more than the new ones :P**

My Review:
I read this book like 5 years ago it and it was my first ya book that really got me into reading. I was also surprised that it had come out way before the hunger games or twilight and not many people know about it.
The world: The world of uglies really fascinated me I mean at 16 you get a mandated operation that turns u into a pretty. How cool is that. There is only one bad part, it turns you into a bubbly head. A pretty who just has fun, no opinions, or thoughts/ conscience. Plus the society is messed up since they don't feel anything but happy thoughts; no anger or rebellion. Let's just say it may not be a good thing.
The characters:
That's we're Shay (right) and Tally (left) come in. There friends who are close to turning. They have this sorta love hate relationship that gets more developed in further books. Tally is the quiet, submissive, typical ugly. Shay is not. She knows the risks of being a pretty. And she wants out!
David oh David. He isn't really in the book a lot but he is a key player. He recruits for the smoke. Paris is briefly mentioned and is the only complain I had. I really wanted to to lean more about him, thought he is in the second book a lot more.
The smoke:
It's the rebellion of uglies who don't Want to be pretty because they know what will happen. They live without technology (crazy right?!) which is the big change in the book. They have books and the setting for the third part of the book. They plant, take showers in the wild, And actually do manual labor. A whole other world in another world, confusing? No. OKAY :)
The action:
Tally goes into the wilds alone and has some really adventurous/ survivalist journey. There is a lot of action scenes throughout the book that makes you want to take part in it too. There is a lot more that what I am saying.
There is also some, actually, a lot of romance between two certain epic characters. Which I will not tell you because YOU NEED TO READ IT! but all i will say is it tore me apart at the end AH!!!! (if you've read it, you know what i mean) but god that ending was INTENSE, a killer, and just PERFECT for book #1.
Yet on top of EVERYTHING else that goes on in the book, I LOVE that it makes you THINK about yourself, the world, beauty and humans as a whole. It really holds many concepts that while reading may not see but after a while you spot & understand.
Overall, this was an AMAZING read and perfect for those just entering the YA scene or the dystopian scene :) I HIGHLY recommend you pick this like NOW! It's been 8 years since it came out, SERIOUSLY don't think about it just READ IT & ENJOY! 5/5 AMAZING STARS!
Totally AMAZING! My mind was entranced and it blew me away!
My (many) Favorite quotes:
“In a world of extreme beauty, anyone normal is ugly.”
“What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful.”
“Perhaps the logical conclusion of everyone looking the same is everyone thinking the same.”
“Tally smiled. At least she was causing trouble to the end. "I'm Tally Youngblood," she said. "make me pretty.
We're not freaks, Tally. We're normal. We may not be gorgeous, but at least we're not hyped-up Barbie dolls.
“Nature, at least, didn’t need an operation to be beautiful. It just was.”
“Your personality - the real you inside - was the price of beauty.”
“Tally sighed, tipping her feet again to follow. "Maybe that's because they have better stuff to do than kid tricks. Maybe partying in town is better than hanging out in a bunch of old ruins."
Shay's eyes flashed. "Or maybe when they do the operation-when they grind and stretch your bones to the right shape, peel off your face and rub all your skin away, and stick in plastic cheekbones so you look like everyone else-maybe after going through all that you just aren't very interesting anymore.
“It's not the traveling that takes courage Tally. I've done much longer trips on my own. It's leaving home.”
“The flowers were so beautiful, so delicate and unthreatening, but they choked everything around them.”
...I want those perfect eyes and lips, and for everyone to look at me and gasp. And for everyone who sees me to think Who's that? and want to get to know me, and listen to what I say."
"I'd rather have something to say.
Once we turn, it’s new pretty, middle pretty, late pretty.” Shay dropped her arms, and her board stopped drifting. “Then dead pretty.
"Doing what you're supposed to do is always boring. I can't imagine anything worse than being required to have fun.”
“She thought of the orchids spreading across the plains below, choking the life out of other plants, out of the soil itself, selfish and unstoppable. Tally Youngblood was a weed. And, unlike the orchids, she wasn't even a pretty one.”
Phew I think that's all the quotes i could put into one review! But they all hold a memory in the book I LOVE! Stay tuned for more reviews to come on the Uglies series!
That's it! Have you read Uglies? A Fan? Sound interesting? Comment!

6 comments:

  1. Great review! Sounds like a cool book, Kinda reminds me of divergent in a way. (Or vice versa)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT! It does kind of but this was WAY BEFORE Divergent ever came onto the book scene :) Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I've read the book and this is an amazing review of it!

    Seriously amaZane. (I stole that joke)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww THANKS! Glad u liked my review and LOL nice Zane joke ;)

      Delete
  3. I might have to check this out now. The cover never drew mw in so I never looked into it until now. Thanks. And wow, that is a lot of favorite quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YOU HAVE TO!!!! I actually love the old covers compared to the new ones but yeah it's not the most poppiest. And yeah I went overboard with the quotes XD Thanks for stopping by Jay!!!! MUCH <333!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.