Naked As We Came (The Cassidy Tomei Chronicles #1) by Amberly Wynn:
Escaping Earth was the first triumph. Surviving Nyx will be the last… Sixteen-year-old Cassidy Tomei was one of the lucky few airlifted aboard the Wonder to the planet Nyx. This emergency exodus from Earth was meant to bring new hope for the remaining survivors of humankind, but there’s one problem. Humankind isn’t alone on this mysterious new planet. On Nyx, Cassidy is one of many living amongst subzero temperatures and with nothing, but a meager ration of food for every household. When the rations deplete, she flees to into unfamiliar wilderness in search of food, but instead discovers debris from a foreign spacecraft that proves humankind is no longer the dominate species. Soon, everything she knows is at stake and everyone she loves is dead. But she’s got one more battle to fight when she’s taken prisoner within Pelhoi, a concentration camp constructed specifically for humans where hominoid creatures dubbed, “the Achillai” reign supreme. She seeks freedom, but finds romance with someone who might either save her or get her killed.
Now, the INTERVIEW:
1) If you had to describe yourself in just one word, what would it be and why?
2) Can you tell me what inspired it you to write NAKED AS WE CAME?A combination of things shaped “Naked As We Came” into what it became, but the one factor that contributed to its actual conception is definitely music. I love music, but the right song can bring about possibilities that you’d never expect. The two songs that pulled this story out of me are “Sleeping With Ghosts” by Placebo and “Naked As We Came” by Iron and Wine which ended up being the book’s namesake. These songs were awesome inspirations that kept me writing even when I was about ready to give up on the story. It’s like my characters were singing along with these songs and I felt that these lyrics were their words, emotions and thoughts.
3) Okay, when you saw the cover to your book, what was your initial reaction?The first impression was absolute bliss. When I set out to find the perfect Graphic Designer for my cover, I had no idea what I wanted or how I wanted it to look. “Naked As We Came” was a story that I couldn’t immediately stamp an image to and I wanted something that embodied everything the story was.
4) Is there a song you could list as the theme song for your book or any of your characters?Oh, there are several! Here are a few: [songs videos linked to titles]
“Powerless” by Linkin Park because it explains almost every emotion the characters in the book feel during their ordeal. [Love this song - had to put the video]
“The Last Day on Earth” by Kate Miller-Heidke because there are themes in this song that were hard to ignore.
“Heart Of Stone” by Iko because I think that it’s a very beautiful and romantic song that defines every relationship in the book.
“Monsoon” by Tokio Hotel because this is a sad, but also uplifting song about someone desperately trying to get to someone they love and that’s ultimately what “Naked As We Came” is about, protecting the ones you love at all costs.
“Letters in the Sky” by Civil Twilight because it another beautiful song with some very interesting themes. [loved this song too, had to include the vid here]
“Sleeping With Ghosts” by Placebo because every lyric in this song describes the book so well that it’s eerie.
5) What is one of your most favorite Quotes?“No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.” -Helen Keller
About the Author:
Amberly is an avid reader, a writer and a lazy blogger. Raised in the dirty south, she is a lover of BBQ as well. At just the tender age of 22, she's had her share of college and refuses to go back for as long as possible. After earning an associate’s degree in Graphic Design and Media Arts, she returned to her first love of writing full-time. She currently lives in Memphis TN. Her favorite tales come from a plethora of the classics such as Jane Austen and some of today's modern favorites such as John Green and Laurie Halse Anderson. She's a lover of all things YA and enjoys even more putting her own spin on the genre herself. She writes for horror, suspense and sci-fi audiences of all ages and loves every second of this whimsical writer's life. Amberly's upcoming debut novel, Naked As We Came, is a rousing sci-fi romance set in a time (and place) when humans are the minority on a planet ruled by the vicious Achillai, a humanoid race who aim to enslave.Find and Follow her on: Twitter / Goodreads / Website
Thanks for stopping by and what do YOU think? Comment! :D