Wednesday, March 27, 2013

BLOG TOUR: Naked As We Came by Amberly Wynn [Review + Author Interview!]

Today we're taking part of the Naked As You Came Blog Tour hosted by Reading Addiction Book Tours! For the FULL TOUR Schedule click the banner above. To find out more continue reading...

Naked As We Came (The Cassidy Tomei Chronicles #1) by Amberly Wynn:
PUB DATE: April 20th 2013
Genre: YA Sci-Fi Romance
Series: The Cassidy Tomei Chronicles #1
Pages: 395
Source: from blog tour host
Escaping Earth was the first triumph. Surviving Nyx will be the last…
Sixteen-year-old Cassidy Tomei was one of the lucky few airlifted aboard the Wonder to the planet Nyx. This emergency exodus from Earth was meant to bring new hope for the remaining survivors of humankind, but there’s one problem. Humankind isn’t alone on this mysterious new planet.
On Nyx, Cassidy is one of many living amongst subzero temperatures and with nothing, but a meager ration of food for every household. When the rations deplete, she flees to into unfamiliar wilderness in search of food, but instead discovers debris from a foreign spacecraft that proves humankind is no longer the dominate species.
Soon, everything she knows is at stake and everyone she loves is dead. But she’s got one more battle to fight when she’s taken prisoner within Pelhoi, a concentration camp constructed specifically for humans where hominoid creatures dubbed, “the Achillai” reign supreme.
She seeks freedom, but finds romance with someone who might either save her or get her killed.

My Review:
Going into this book I was curious to see what would happen because the summary got me really thinking and wanting to know more :) Now, I'm not a really big fan of heavy sci-fi but if it has romance then I am in. Knowing it did I took a chance on this book and was surprised at what i found!
The story starts out all nice-ish and peaceful with our main character Cassidy living on Nyx with her family and there being an emergency that pushes her to go out and about to find resources. Where she and her brother, Lonnie, find a broken ship...and that's when everything takes a turn for the worst.
I don't want to spoil the book but there are a few scenes that are pretty intense and if you don't like the harsh, gritty stuff then take caution while reading it. I had to put the book down a few times because I WAS NOT expecting what happened, AT ALL. Yes, from the summary I knew what I was getting into, "concentration camps" but I wasn't really prepared for it. Although, the author wrote this book in a way that those things didn't make you uncomfortable or want to throw the book away but made you want to know more.
So i kept reading and to my surprise it was a pretty great story! I loved the world-building and the alien race that was already there. It kinda reminded me of the Nazis (O_O maybe it was based on it? I don't really know). The romance was okay, no ista-love but great chemistry between Cassidy and Alyen (a half-human/Achillai).
The Ending. It was EPIC; it was heartbreaking and shocking! There were so many things that were revealed, broken, surprising, and dangerous. It ends perfectly with not too much given away but still wetting my appetite for more! Overall I really enjoyed this book. Though if you're not much into sci-fi but do love a great romance then definitely try this one! 4/5 stars :D

Now, the INTERVIEW:
1) If you had to describe yourself in just one word, what would it be and why?



One word? Hmm…I’d say I’m pretty stubborn because once I get an idea in my head it’s becomes nearly impossible to keep me from pursuing it.
2) Can you tell me what inspired it you to write NAKED AS WE CAME?
A combination of things shaped “Naked As We Came” into what it became, but the one factor that contributed to its actual conception is definitely music. I love music, but the right song can bring about possibilities that you’d never expect.
The two songs that pulled this story out of me are “Sleeping With Ghosts” by Placebo and “Naked As We Came” by Iron and Wine which ended up being the book’s namesake. These songs were awesome inspirations that kept me writing even when I was about ready to give up on the story. It’s like my characters were singing along with these songs and I felt that these lyrics were their words, emotions and thoughts.
3) Okay, when you saw the cover to your book, what was your initial reaction?
The first impression was absolute bliss. When I set out to find the perfect Graphic Designer for my cover, I had no idea what I wanted or how I wanted it to look. “Naked As We Came” was a story that I couldn’t immediately stamp an image to and I wanted something that embodied everything the story was.
So I sat down and sketched out some ideas of my own. I am not an artist so these first draft drawings were horrible, but once I was done, I knew what had to happen. I wanted to feature the main character, Cassidy, but I wanted her appearance to have some significance. Long story short, the image on the cover is basically an illustration of one of the most prominent scenes from the book. I loved it and couldn’t take my eyes off of it when it was revealed to me!
4) Is there a song you could list as the theme song for your book or any of your characters?
Oh, there are several! Here are a few: [songs videos linked to titles]
Powerless” by Linkin Park because it explains almost every emotion the characters in the book feel during their ordeal. [Love this song - had to put the video]
The Last Day on Earth” by Kate Miller-Heidke because there are themes in this song that were hard to ignore.
Heart Of Stone” by Iko because I think that it’s a very beautiful and romantic song that defines every relationship in the book.
Monsoon” by Tokio Hotel because this is a sad, but also uplifting song about someone desperately trying to get to someone they love and that’s ultimately what “Naked As We Came” is about, protecting the ones you love at all costs.
Letters in the Sky” by Civil Twilight because it another beautiful song with some very interesting themes. [loved this song too, had to include the vid here]
Sleeping With Ghosts” by Placebo because every lyric in this song describes the book so well that it’s eerie.
5) What is one of your most favorite Quotes?
“No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.” -Helen Keller
About the Author:

Amberly is an avid reader, a writer and a lazy blogger. Raised in the dirty south, she is a lover of BBQ as well. At just the tender age of 22, she's had her share of college and refuses to go back for as long as possible. After earning an associate’s degree in Graphic Design and Media Arts, she returned to her first love of writing full-time. She currently lives in Memphis TN.
Her favorite tales come from a plethora of the classics such as Jane Austen and some of today's modern favorites such as John Green and Laurie Halse Anderson. She's a lover of all things YA and enjoys even more putting her own spin on the genre herself. She writes for horror, suspense and sci-fi audiences of all ages and loves every second of this whimsical writer's life.
Amberly's upcoming debut novel, Naked As We Came, is a rousing sci-fi romance set in a time (and place) when humans are the minority on a planet ruled by the vicious Achillai, a humanoid race who aim to enslave.
Find and Follow her on: Twitter / Goodreads / Website
Thanks for stopping by and what do YOU think? Comment! :D

1 comment:

  1. Title:
    The Best High Returns on Best Investment

    Content:
    Welcome to Make Money Online with best investment in Hedge fund day trading with high returns on Daily Interest the world best revenue sharing program in which High Yield Investment Program, Best Hyip, Best Investment, Hyip Monitor, Forex Fund, Daily Profit, Monthly Interest, Monthly Profit, Earn Money Online, Money Maker Group, Dream Team Money and like this much more and you can withdraw the amount throw referral commission, eCurrency Invest, LibertyReserve, Alert Pay and SolidTrustPay as well. Get 200% profit within 150 days and the minimum withdraw is only $5 which is on daily basis.
    For More Details click the link below:

    Web Link:
    http://www.whatacash.com

    Display Name: whatacash

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.