Tuesday, June 25, 2013

DNF Review: Bitter Angel by Megan Hand *with gifs*


ABOUT THE BOOK

Publication Date: April 1st 2013
Publisher: M Hand Publications
Pages: 254
source: from tour host for review
Summary from Goodreads (here):
Torn between two realities. A choice that will mean life or death. But she won’t know anything… until she wakes up.
College sophomore, Lila Spencer lived Friday night twice. She doesn’t know how or why, just that she did. As if she split in half and went in two different directions. Out clubbing with her friends, Heather and Nilah, the girls rock it out and party hard. What begins as an innocent night will lead to a deadly fight for their lives, and Lila might be their only chance for survival. In bed with her boyfriend, Jay, Lila is safe and warm as she drifts to sleep in the arms of the man she loves. Until she is sucked into a horrifying nightmare of her friends' deaths.
As the sunlight warms her face on Saturday morning, the two scenarios collide. But there can be only one outcome.
Will she wake up in her warm bed with Jay by her side, devastated and grieving for her friends? Or was she there to save them?The answer is just the beginning.
I feel like a REALLY big black sheep here. I saw all the great reviews and was hyped to read this. I was expecting suspense and was intrigue. Heck, I even participated in the cover reveal *that's why I was so excited to love this* SO I feel really BITTER that I'm giving Bitter Angel the *dreaded* DNF stamp.
I know that parallel universe/lives books aren't for everyone and yes, this was my first book to deal with this *sort of* but I wasn't expecting to go over events and feel so confused @_@ It was like "what the heck?! I though u just did that? no?" And it wasn't just me, Lila was confused just as much as me! So that didn't really help.
Besides that I just couldn't connect to the characters. The friends, Heather and Nilah were, eh. I mean it made no sense to me! They're all already going to a big bash the next day for Nilah's b-day, so I see no point in going to a club, especially in the rough part of town. Lila say's as much but she STILL GOES >_<
Then on the other part of the story I was kind of tired of Lila pushing Jay around and making excuses for not moving closer to him. I liked the story behind them, broken & touching I just didn't think I wanted to know SO much so early in the book about them. It seemed more YA kind of backstory than NA. She also wants him to take charge more. YET she pushes him around and it doesn't really make sense. He also travels FOR HER. To MEET her. So why LEAVE HIM?! He sacrifices time for you & you don't do the same for him?! No... just...no...*me below, trying to make sense of things*...
I did LOVE how the author hooked me on the first page, which kept me reading. I just couldn't finish it. I was confused and couldn't connect with the story as much as I had wanted to. It just wasn't for me but I hope you do pick it up and TRY it!
OVERALL: Hitting my head on a desk, right now. If you DO like parallel lives *and like things to be repeated twice* then have a go at it. Me on the other hand...I just...no... These are just my thoughts, READ IT and make your own! Never hurts to try a book ;)

THAT'S IT!! WHAT DO YOU THINK? HAVE YOU READ IT? LEAVE A COMMENT :D

2 comments:

  1. That book sounds so confusing. I never am able to keep stuff straight. Like if one thing happened in one then I think it happens in the other and then I just get CONFUSED!!! And it normally becomes a big mess. Nice review! You brought up some great points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! I can't read books that confused me twice with the same events XP Glad you liked the review and thanks for stopping by, MUCH <3!

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.