Monday, July 29, 2013

[Fascinating] Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Publication Date: January 3rd 2012
Published by: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 387
Source: BOUGHT
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Summary from Goodreads (here):
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction.

Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

OMG Cinder was such a Fascinating, charming, and addictive read! I honestly don't know why I waited SO long to read it. I bought it WAY back last summer and it was collecting dust for almost a YEAR. I think it was the hype and all the 5 star reviews that kinda made me hesitate. But i think it had to do with the fact that it was a robotic themed book, and i am VERY picky on them XP

The world that Marissa created was just fascinating. I didn't honestly expect to fall into the world so easily but i did! The plague, the lunars, the cyborg's and androids; they all fascinated me. I wanted to learn more about them, the history, and to keep me so latched on was great :) Also this world is set in New Beijing; which is just a futuristic, technological version of beijing today. There's still a monarchy which worked with the cinderella theme of the story. The neat thing was that there's also a HUGE war looming with the Lunars (people who moved to live on the moon & became a new type of people) and that created a whole other sub-par story.

Now, the characters were so different and likeable. Cinder was such a strong, determined, and sarcastic girl that I LOVED. Prince Kai was AH, SO SWOONY ;) He has this charm that he can be a leader yet he can be a normal guy in the market. Then Queen Levana...O.O EEK, she was so manipulative but i loved her character and that she added another edge to the story. Then there's Cinder "guardian"/owner Adri. She was UGH I wanted to punch her for her & Pearl's cruelty toward Cinder. There's Cinder's android Iko, whom has a funny & sassy personality ;)

Now i didn't expect to FEEL SO MANY EMOTIONS! Cinder could NOT cry but I SO WAS. Especially with her little sister Peony, who was the only human friend she had. AH the TEARS were a' flowing! Then I felt the unfairness toward Cinder for being a cyborg and it broke my heart. A lot of things broke my heart ESPECIALLY AT THE END.

Marissa Meyer is a genius. Seriously she tied the whole story by the end and all the pieces fell into place and it was an "OH MY GOD" moment for me. I was heartbroken but at the same time enlightened; it was pretty cool. The ending wasn't a cliffhanger but It left me wanting more. I want to know how everything's going to turn out and what's going to happen with Cinder & EMPEROR KAI now that the HUGE secret has been revealed *giddy* :D

Overall: Such an EPIC BOOK, I LOVED it SOO MUCH MORE than what I though! YOU MUST PICK IT UP! Even if you don't like sci-fi or fairytale's. This book is great for any reader as long as you're okay with a detachable foot XP Also for those looking for an original & unique twist to the classic cinderella fairytale :D


THAT'S IT! HAVE U READ CINDER? LIKE THE SONG MATCH? LEAVE A COMMENT :)

10 comments:

  1. I know! All the five-star reviews for this intimidated me but good thing I finally read it because it's FANFREAKINAWESOME! Great review and I love how much you gushed because that's what I did in my review too! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?!? 5 Stars can be intimidating but Cinder was TOTALLY FANFREAKINAWESOME!!!! Glad you loved my review Dianne and I just HAD TO GUSH its so hard not too XD Thanks for checking out my review Dianne, MUCH bloggy <33!

      Delete
  2. This book was so amazing, and Scarlet is somehow even better! Great review, Lisseth, I know all about being intimidated by 5-star-reviewed books. It almost never lives up to the hype, but this book definitely does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG REALLY?!?! NEED SCARLET NOW @_@ and right? I hate that hype almost always makes me not want to read a book >_< but I'm glad Cinder rocked my socks off! Glad u liked my review Nicole and came to check it out! MUCH NLOGGY <333!

      Delete
  3. Yay I'm really happy that you loved it! The story is so interesting and I really liked all the characters. Cinder is such a likable protagonist. She's brave, strong, and thoughtful. The only thing I didn't like was that the story was predictable.

    Leigh
    Little Book Star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IM HAPPY I LOVED IT TOO! Cinder so is likable and strong. Hmm well I didn't quite get the feeling it was predictable that much but there was a bit. Thanks for stopping by my review Leigh!!! Much bloggy <33 and hugs :D

      Delete
  4. All the 5 star reviews have made me hesitant too! Maybe I should give this on a shot. But I'm just worried that I won't like it because Cinderella is kind of boring for me. Now I'm definitely reconsidering! Love the review, Lisseth :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah them 5 stars got me scared to read it but DEFINITELY hive it a shot!! Cinderella is pretty classic but this version is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and has x10 more action :) Glad you liked my review and thanks for checking it out Becca. As always much bloggy <333!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I'm so proud of you for reading this! I love your review, Lisseth! I was so surprised at the ending too, and I really liked Kai in the first book, as well as Cinder. She rocked hard. ;) As for your song choice, not really my thing, but I enjoyed it! Awesome-sauce review, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great review. It is a 5 starred book on my shelf too.
    You can view it here: Review of Cinder @ Books Are My Best Friends.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.