Hey everyone!! Today we're taking part in the blitz for Sworn to raise by Terah Edun XD I love this author and I can't wait to read her books soon. I'm glad to be part of the book blitz, keep on reading to check out a top tens list with Terah and a giveaway!
1. Anastasia, Once Upon a December Reprise: The idea of a lost little girl becoming a young woman with an Imperial destiny was fascinating. While Ciardis and Anastasia have quite a few differences as time goes on you’ll see some startling similarities. You can see the video below. [Lisseth: Dang this makes me cry everytime i see it XP]
2. Legends of Pegasus: There are magical, talking creatures with intelligent levels throughout my novels but among my favorites are the creatures that I call pegasi - winged horses used by Windriders to fly messages back and forth.
3. Finishing Schools: While not exactly the boarding school of my dreams, finishing schools have a specific purpose in mind - crafting and instilling skills in a person. It’s an interesting concept that I thought would be fun to have a character turn on its head.
4. A Strong Will: I don’t like any of my characters to be pushovers and I particularly wanted Ciardis to blossom into her own person and her own mage. Characterizing her as a dominate personality hasn’t come naturally yet but she is finding her place in the world. And that’s a portion of real life. You make your own choices to grow and learn.
5. The Court of Louis XVI: If you haven’t read To Dance With Kings by Rosalind Laker, an amazing historical fiction tale of seamstresses who become courtesans in the Sun King’s court, then you should! The pageantry and gaiety of life under a King like Louis XVI really influenced my perception of life in Sandrin.
6. Warrior Queens: Historically there have been some badass reigning monarchs of the female gender. Some have gone to war, some have started empires and others have nurtured generations. Women like Cleopatra of Egypt, Elizabeth II of England, Isabella of France, and Seondeok of Silla (Korea). When I write my main characters I keep their ingenuity, fearlessness and inspiring reigns in mind.
7. Inspiring Women like Amelia Earhart, Princess Diana, Gertrude Bell: Many times my writing is about exploring the world around you and adventuring out of your comfort zone. These women, and many more like them, were adventurers, pioneers, and leaders in their communities. I wanted my main character to share some of that heroism, that spark, that kindness and that ingenuity.
8. The Pony Express: Weird, right? But it totally makes sense! I borrowed the idea of the Windriders from the original postal delivery service that brought mail and packages across the continental U.S. in the fastest time available during the 1800s.
9. Archery Lessons: I took archery lessons and horseback riding lessons as a kid. I was middling to fair at it. So I thought I’d pass my calluses and misery on to Ciardis Weathervane as well. Besides she needs them where she’s going.
10. Romantic Comedies ala The Princess Diaries: I learned so much about writing from watching rom coms. They have to be fast-paced and innovative while keeping an audience riveted with drama as well as laugh out loud funny. What’s not to love?
Title: Sworn To Raise
Author: Terah Edun
Published by: self-published
Release Date: April 10th 2013
Series: Courtlight #1
Seventeen-year-old Ciardis has grown up in poverty, a cleaner in a small vale on the outskirts of the empire. But beneath her empire’s seemingly idyllic surface lies a hidden secret. Whispers of an inept crown Prince are growing ever louder—intensified by the five year anniversary of the soulbond initiations.
Amidst scandalous whispers, Ciardis finds herself chosen to train for the Companion’s Guild. She leaves her home and sets off on a personal journey to become a Court Companion. A position she’d never thought possible for a lowly servant to obtain, she must prove that she has the skills to attract a Patron.
But she must master those skills quickly. If the legends are true, only Ciardis can harness the power to raise a Prince in an Imperial Court sworn to bring him down.
This sensational series debut melds intricate storylines with remarkable characters and unforgettable magic. Sworn To Raise is ideal for fans of Kristin Cashore, Michelle Sagara, and Maria Snyder.
Title: Sworn To Transfer
Author: Terah Edun
Published by: self-published
Release Date: September 20th 2013
Series: Courtlight #2
Companion trainee Ciardis Weathervane has won the friendship of the royal heir and saved his claim to the throne. Yet her interference in the inheritance rights leaves more harm done than good. With the death of the Princess Heir, the Ameles forest - the home of the kith, is dying.
The inhabitants of the forest, magic-wielding non-humans, are defiant. They have not forgotten their long struggles nor are they content to watch as the last of their lands perish. As humans begin to die in gruesome deaths, the Emperor dispatches the royal heir to the forests with the solution to the kith concerns.
With enemies closing ranks in Sandrin, Ciardis can little afford to leave the city’s nest of vipers to take on a new task. But she’s given no choice when her loyalty to the crown and courts are called into question.
To keep the Companions’ Guild happy and the favor of the Imperial Court, Ciardis will be tested in frightening new ways, especially when she’s faced with an obstacle that could risk the lives of her friends and the family she never thought she had. This second novel continues the story of Ciardis Weathervane from Sworn To Raise.
Terah Edun is a young adult fantasy writer born and raised in the Atlanta metropolitan area, who transplanted to the Northeast region for college, and has spent years living abroad in South Sudan and Morocco. She writes the stories that she always loved to read as a young girl.
She prefers tales of adventure, magic, fellowship and courtship – in other words high fantasy. But she’s not adverse to the occasional contemporary fantasy coming her way. Sometimes you’ll see cloaks, daggers, independent and strong girls, independent and strong guys, sweet and soft spoken girls, sweet and soft spoken guys, sparkly magic and irritatingly know-it-all boys. The book she’s currently working on is SWORN TO TRANSFER, the second in the Courtlight series.
WEBSITE | GOODREADS | TWITTER | FACEBOOK
WOW, now this is a GIVEAWAY XD There so many great prizes to win! Plus look at the awesome swag here below *grabby hands* wish I could enter and get some :P Remember this epic giveaway ends SEPTEMBER 28!a Rafflecopter giveaway