Friday, February 7, 2014

[EMOTIONALLY BREAKING] AN ARC REVIEW OF HEARTBEAT BY ELIZABETH SCOTT


Title: Heartbeat
Authors: Elizabeth Scott
Published Date: January 28th 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 304
Source: via publisher on Netgalley
Series: none
GOODREADS | AMAZON | B&N | BOOK DEPOSITORY
Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?

OH LORD THE FEELS!!!! *calming down to actually review* I could not put this down. I didn't know how this was going to play out but I was NOT expecting to break out in tears in parts and FEEL SO dang much! I LOVED THIS BOOK x Infinity XD Although this was not the cover I had thought would be picked in the end. I still like it and the tagline is really clever :)

The story was heartbreaking, raw, emotional, and unique! It reminded me of why I LOVED Elizabeth Scott's books so much in the past. She can truly weave real stories that you will hate to love because they make you feel so much and make you fall in love. The story dealt with a really hard issue of whether a pregnant woman whose brain-dead should be kept alive for the baby.

I loved reading about Emma, our main MC, and how she coped with the semi-loss of her mother and the struggle she had within. At first I didn't really understand what she was going through but I could connect to her loss. I would be a little messed up if I had to see my "dead" mother still alive. On top of that she had to come to terms with the hate she had towards her unborn half-brother & stepfather. The whole thing really kinda twisted her. She remembers the happy times when her mom was pregnant but she kinda tends to only see the bad parts. I loved seeing her slowly change her perspective on the whole situation.

With this sad story I wasn't sure how the romance would play out, if there would be insta-love or something. Thankfully the romance was so sweet, captivating, and pulled at my heart too! Even though Emma was going through something tough Caleb was also going through a hell all his own. Caleb is labeled the "bad-boy" and in part that was true but he was so much more too. He was damaged and broken, when you read his story with his sister you'll understand him SO MUCH MORE. Caleb & Emma both helped each other mend the broken pieces they had and become whole. They had to learn to deal with there pasts; before they can open up and let love in. There relationship was simply gorgeous, touching, and done really well :D

THE ENDING!! Gah why?! I understood it had to happen but gah, I was crying like a baby and yet i was still happy with it. It was utterly beautiful and heartwrenching. I LOVED this book so much and to me it was one of perfect emotional books. It had the hard, the intense, but it also gave you the warmth and the redemption. For me it was a 100% 5 stars!

WHAT DID YOU THINK? HAVE YOU HEARD OF HEARTBEAT? ALREADY READ IT?
LIKE MY REVIEW, THEN LEAVE A COMMENT! AS ALWAYS <3 YOU ALL - LISSETH ^3^

7 comments:

  1. I loved this book a LOT, too
    But definitely not as much as you did
    It was captivating and intriguing
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I just love tough books XP Glad you loved this one too Soma! Thanks for stopping by and commenting, MUCH BLOGGY <33!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that you really liked Heartbeat. I thought it was an interest but hard topic to deal with and I'm impressed that Elizabeth Scott decided to tackle it. I don't think there's a right answer in a situation like this. I feel like it works intellectually for me but I never really connected with with the MC or the story. But there were some really powerful lines that took my breath away!

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it really was a tough and delicate topic to write about but I think she did it well. I was a bit apprehensive of Emma at first too but then I just got lost in the book and her story. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Aly, MUCH BLOGGY <333!

      Delete
  3. Whenever someone loves a book this much it makes me want to read it! However, the one book I've read by Elizabeth Scott I hated so I dunno =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I didn't like the first book I read by Elizabeth Scott but I gave her another chance and ended up loving that other book. Everyone is different but maybe one more try couldn't hurt XP thanks for stopping by and commenting, much <33!

      Delete
  4. I read a few of Elizabeth Scott's books a long time ago, but remember really enjoying them. I'm a huge fan of dark contemporary and the way you described it sounds like a book right up my alley. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.